post partum hair loss...

i'm shedding all over the place! how long does it last? will getting my hair cut help? (at least all the hairs everywhere won't be so long! they're dark, too...)

ariel08

Asked by ariel08 at 3:28 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• Getting your hair cut will not help. Its not the length of your hair that is causing the hair loss.

Remember thinking how thick and wonderful your hair was during your pregnancy? That's because you weren't doing your daily shedding, all the extra blood and vitamins were keeping the hair that you should have been losing on a daily basis. Now that its all done and over with, you are losing the hair that you should have been losing gradually over the past 9 months. There really is no way to tell how much you will lose or how long it will last :(
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:32 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• It's normal to loose or seem to loose ALLOT more hair AFTER the baby is born. Your hair is finally shedding at it's normal rate. If your terrible concerned or feel it is WAY more than normal go see your Dr who can do a blood test to see if you have a chemical or hormonal imbalance. It just seems like your going bald right now. It usually stops or slows back to normal within a few months.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/48748/

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:55 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• i have the same problem.... ITS EVERYWHERE!!!! i feel like im balding... when i take out my scrunchie its wrapped up in a ball on the elastic and i have to cut it off.... washing my hair is awful. and when i brush it it comes out so much in the brush i want to cry.
    melissa089

Answer by melissa089 at 2:48 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• here's my only concern- with my first i kept losing soooo much hair i was getting bald spots. not trying to freak you out! well, turns out i had postpartum thyroiditis. basically, my immune system attacked my body and killed my poor thyroid, may it rest in peace. so i'd just say that if you're concerned, check in with you doc. there's a lot of other symptoms too, so don't let the hair loss alone worry you. :)
    LeahJ

Answer by LeahJ at 1:08 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• It's different for everyone. I also had balding areas, just like men with receeding hairlines. but since I keep my hair very short, anyway, I just buzzed it all off to a GI Jane look. and damn if it wasn't growing back in within 2wks where it had been balding.
    moniquesand

Answer by moniquesand at 9:56 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• ugg im going thru this right now! it sucks! its been almost 2 months now, but im not going bald. im hoping it will stop soon!! its normal but its just weird!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:38 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• You could take extra vitamins or herbs to help suppliment and grow hair--- remember hair loss can be stress related too!-- SO chill out! lol...
    Happy-Duckof6

Answer by Happy-Duckof6 at 12:12 AM on Nov. 20, 2008