about to leave my son for a long time, for the first time

next week I start training for a new job. I applied for pt nightshift but the training will be 8 hours during the day for 4 days next week (yes...christmas week yaaaay lol). I have left ds w/ a sitter in the past, but never for this long. I've been a sahm since he was born (he's 2) so this will be a major change for me....and him. I am waiting on a trusting friend to respond to me about watching him (it'll be at her place) and i'm sure he'll be fine. I have watched a friends son longer in the day and I pretty much know what to bring and what to expect but any other advice? I'm so nervous. I kinda joke and say "if I dont learn to do this now I'll be chasing the bus down the street when he's in kindergarten. The training will only be for 4 days and my actual shift will be nighttime and SO will be home. But still....so nervous about parting from ds for 8 long hours :o(

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 3:29 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• He will be fine. It's good for him to socialize with other people with different rules and guidelines. It will make him more apt to adjust to changes later in life.

It will be good for you too. You will realize how much he changes and appreciate it more. It will be harder on you than on him.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:53 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I would be to. Look at it this way, change is good.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 3:32 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• thanks. yes we could really use this extra income.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• When I first left my DD I texted my daycare lady a couple times a day just to check in and make sure she was doing ok. She was always fine, of course, but it made me feel a lot better. Hopefully you can check in if you get breaks or something and have a little reassurance. And don't forget to send his favorite blankie or teddy or something to remind him of home. He'll be fine and maybe even find it fun to be in a new place for a few days, especially if he has a playmate. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:54 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• thanks ladies!
    "harder for you than him" YEAH YOU SAID IT lol
    and yes I will bring a blanket, a doll and his trains, maybe some dvd's. My friend's son is 18 months old so they will have plenty of stuff. I still have yet to hear from her but she's just busy. I just hate this waiting period of getting her phone call. I need to work on my patience lol
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Dec. 17, 2010