Toddler boy with yeast infection?

My 16 month old son developed a little bumpy rash on his penis about a week ago. I thought it was just diaper rash so I continued to use our normal diaper rash cream. Well few days later it was worse and his penis was bright red and a little puffy. We don't have the money right now to take him to the doctor, so luckily I was able to take him to the dermatologist's office, where my mom works, for free to have him looked at. The doctor told me he had a yeast infection and gave me some free sample creams to use. Well its been about 2 days and I haven't noticed a whole lot of improvement. Its definitely not worse, but it isn't a whole lot better either. Are there any home remedies for this or something I can pick up at the drug store? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son had a yeast diaper rash once, and we used Lamisol (any OTC anti-fungal cream--just ask the pharmacist if you're not sure). Feed him probiotic yogurt as pp mentioned too. If it doesn't clear up within a couple days of home treatment, it may be something else or it may require an Rx, so you would need to take him to a Dr. One time I thought my son had another yeast rash, but it turned out to be eczema (which is rare in the diaper area but can occur), so he needed a prescription. If Desitin doesn't clear a rash within a day or two, I start to suspect yeast or other problems. Most of the time, Desitin clears normal diapers rashes up quickly, and even prevents them.

SKIN CARE AND DIAPER RASHES
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:20 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• feed him yogurt with probiotics in it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:51 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I didn't know boys could get yeast infections i guess you learn something everyday. sorry nohome remedies,but I hope everything work out okay.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 3:52 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Any anti fungal cream
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 3:54 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I second the yogurt. You can also get OTC pro biotic chewables.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:02 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Boys can get yeast infections, my son had them when he was a baby. Lotrimin AF works wonders. If that doesn't work then a RX from the doctor is needed, usually Nystatin.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:09 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Not only feed him the yogurt, but get plain (not vanilla, PLAIN) and use a liberal amount of that instead of creams. If it still doesn't look any better in a few days, you're going to have to take him to the doctor, money or not.
    Anonymous