Toddler boy with yeast infection?

My 16 month old son developed a little bumpy rash on his penis about a week ago. I thought it was just diaper rash so I continued to use our normal diaper rash cream. Well few days later it was worse and his penis was bright red and a little puffy. We don't have the money right now to take him to the doctor, so luckily I was able to take him to the dermatologist's office, where my mom works, for free to have him looked at. The doctor told me he had a yeast infection and gave me some free sample creams to use. Well its been about 2 days and I haven't noticed a whole lot of improvement. Its definitely not worse, but it isn't a whole lot better either. Are there any home remedies for this or something I can pick up at the drug store? Thanks.

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son had a yeast diaper rash once, and we used Lamisol (any OTC anti-fungal cream--just ask the pharmacist if you're not sure). Feed him probiotic yogurt as pp mentioned too. If it doesn't clear up within a couple days of home treatment, it may be something else or it may require an Rx, so you would need to take him to a Dr. One time I thought my son had another yeast rash, but it turned out to be eczema (which is rare in the diaper area but can occur), so he needed a prescription. If Desitin doesn't clear a rash within a day or two, I start to suspect yeast or other problems. Most of the time, Desitin clears normal diapers rashes up quickly, and even prevents them.

Answer by pam19 at 12:20 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• feed him yogurt with probiotics in it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:51 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I didn't know boys could get yeast infections i guess you learn something everyday. sorry nohome remedies,but I hope everything work out okay.

Answer by nicjon at 3:52 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Any anti fungal cream

Answer by lstrickland at 3:54 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I second the yogurt. You can also get OTC pro biotic chewables.

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:02 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Boys can get yeast infections, my son had them when he was a baby. Lotrimin AF works wonders. If that doesn't work then a RX from the doctor is needed, usually Nystatin.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:09 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Not only feed him the yogurt, but get plain (not vanilla, PLAIN) and use a liberal amount of that instead of creams. If it still doesn't look any better in a few days, you're going to have to take him to the doctor, money or not.