I am unhappy being a mom...advice?

I am just coming to the realization that I should never of had kids. I am unhappy being a mom almost every moment of every day. I don't want to feel this way. I want to bond with my kids and be a happy mom like most everybody else. I find no joy in their smiles and no joy in playing games with them. I do it and I smile but I am miserable whenever they are home. I have seriously considered giving them up for adoption to somebody who could love them the way they are supposed to be loved. I can't help feeling though that it would be worse for them emotionally for me to give them up when I am trying so hard. We are all in counseling and have been for 6 months. I was hoping I would be feeling happier by now. They are 6 and 7 years old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• Sounds like you are depressed and feel defeated, due to their behavior not their existance. I would switch therapists if you are not feeling better. Talk to your doc about an anti-depressant. Seek help on behavior modification for your children. Sounds like what is broken can be fixed, you just have to keep searching for the right answers.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 8:18 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• It sounds like you're depressed.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:50 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• aww thats so sad wish i could help but i dont really kno that wold help if ur already talking to some1 about it
    Paigesmommy78

Answer by Paigesmommy78 at 3:51 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I have no advice for you but ((((HUGS))))
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:52 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I think I would seek the help of a physchiatrist. You might be dealing with PPD or some other form of depression that might require medication. Obviously whatever you are doing now isn't working. Please do this. Your children KNOW that you don't like being a mom, whether or not you are pretending. Kids know when they are disliked or unloved. They deserve to be in a happy, loving, home. It might still be possible for you, but you need to find out what's going on with yourself. I'd be willing to bet you have something that needs medical attention. Maybe you've had PPD this whole time and haven't realized it.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 3:53 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Do you work? Maybe that would help, having a life outside of the kids...
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 4:00 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Sounds like you may be depressed. Have you gone for counseling yet? That would be a good first step.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 3:51 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I would start by talking to your doctor about it. I would also consider talking to a counselor or therapist. Do you have a support system? Close friends or relatives? A SO?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:53 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I'm so sorry you are feeling like this.. has it been this way ALWAYS since they were both born or just more recently?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:54 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Have you always felt this way? even when they were babies? I am so sorry you are missing out of being a mother, it can be exhausting and it can also be exhilarating to grow with your child and see the world through their eyes, hope you get the help you need, hugs.

Answer by older at 3:55 PM on Dec. 17, 2010