Whats Cheaper?

I am so tired of living paycheck to paycheck.... I have about 60$ to go to the grocery store to buy things for a family of 5 to last until the 19th..... Included in that I have to buy formula for my 6 month old. does anyone have any ideas what else I could get that would last awhile?

Oh...and my cuboards are getting pretty bare........ I have some chicken and ground beef..... and a few other odds and ends but not much.......

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Food & Drink

• do you like ramen noodles? That's the cheapest stuff I can think of. Also pasta, bread and peanut butter. Look at the ad and get what's on sale, and buy store brand.
    Anonymous

• When I'm on a budget I try to buy things like chicken, I will roast the chicken for dinner one night, use the leftovers to make soup the next night, etc. With ground beef I section it up, one night I'll have tacos, the next I shoot for chili (i put my leftover tomatoes in there). My family also loves one of the cheapest things on earth, butter noodles. I also try to buy things in bulk when they are on sale.
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 3:38 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Look into your local food banks or pantry's for free food donations. There are lots of places out there that give food to family's in need NOT based on income. Also local churches do allot of community food donations and you do NOT have to be a member of their church to recieve food for free.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/48748/

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:49 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• You might qualify for WIC, each kid would get checks for food, and you for being pregnant if u are, and they would give u checks for formula, every little bit helps
    sylvia-ann

Answer by sylvia-ann at 3:53 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• There is a government food program that i believe is in every state. You do not have to qualify or have a specific income to participate. Unfortunately it is about 2 weeks after you order the food that it comes in, but it is good quality food for a low cost. It is called Angel Food. The website for this is angelfoodministries.com and you can view the menu and find local distribution sites in your area. The food is of a high quality, many times the meat and the vegies are better than i can find in the store. You purchase a box for $30 dollars, and then you can purchase alternative boxes like meat pachages. My favorite is a 10 pound box of chicken tenders. They are breaded raw chicken and can be baked, not just fried. It is under $20 last time i checked and lasts awhile at our house. They also take foodstamps as payment.
    boy_or_girl

Answer by boy_or_girl at 4:39 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Angel food ministries was an excellent answer!! When I buy groceries, I buy the frozen chubs of ground turkey, they are about $1 each. And because it is so low fat you get more meat for the money. Instead of boxed cereal, I'll get the malt o meal bagged cereal and just the cheerios style the kids don't pig out on it like they do the more sugary cereals. Also I buy the hot cereal. Not the instant. Tuna is cheap and goes far mixed with egg noodles and cream of mushroom soup and a bag of peas. And Spaghetti is always a good cheap dinner. And of course the old standbys beans and rice. Very cheap, complete protein, and very filling.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 7:30 PM on Nov. 8, 2008