My kid is smashing or crumbling up her food then won't eat it.

My 2 yr old is driving me nuts with all the wasting of food lately, she destroys it by smashing, crumbling, mixing things together, tearing it up, ect...then she refuses to eat it! AARGH, what to do?

YungMum_STL

Asked by YungMum_STL at 3:46 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh, join the club! My 22 month old dd smashes just about any food. She sculpts with mashed potatoes. She fingerpaints with her pudding. She slings food off her fingers everywhere. I wonder how she possibly gets enough to eat. Unfortunately I have no real advice. I try to give her only a little because I know most of it will go into the trash. That's all you can do.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 3:51 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Give her stuff she can eat together, like goldfish craskers and peanut butter, graham crackers and applesauce, etc. That way she can get all the fun of mixing and dippng and it's still edible.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 3:54 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I tried that myself, but she just dips the food then crushes it. She doesn't dip in condiments, she eats the condiments by themselves. I try to tell her, you can not live on condiments alone...
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 4:11 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• There is a chance that her growth has slowed temporarily and she will not be as hungry at this time. It is fun to play with the food, but she just is not hungry.......toddlers go through stages like this. You can offer her small meals or snacks throughout the day and hope she eats a little of what she destroys, but don't worry, as long as she is where she is supposed to be on the growth chart and is not dropping down on the chart, she is ok, and most likely very healthy.
    boy_or_girl

Answer by boy_or_girl at 4:34 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Toddlers experience their food by texture as well as eating it, lol. View it as a learning experience and you may want to limit the amount you give her, or WHERE you give it to her-- and stock up on napkins ;)
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 5:18 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I thought my son would starve to death! He ate so little. I didn't push him. I gave him small amounts of food at meals and if he didn't eat it, not much was wasted. He wasn't losing weight so I didn't worry much. I was told over and over he'll eat when he's hungry and that's pretty much how we got through it. If you're really concerned she's not getting enough to eat, I'd offer snacks between meals. But once they hit a growth spurt they eat more than you think they can hold.
    Elisha121804

Answer by Elisha121804 at 6:40 PM on Nov. 8, 2008