Need help for cousin's mentally disabled daughter.

I am going to explain this as I understand it. My cousin's daughter is 9. She is mentally disabled as a result of a chromosome deletion birth defect. She has been diagnosed, and at this point seems to be a unique case as they cannot figure out how to treat her. The biggest issue right now is discipline. She can't get any help as the medicaid has not gone through, because her deletion is not recognized and they have to get that pushed through. The little girl doesn't seem to care about losing privileges, toys, or anything else. She refuses to do the work, in school or at home. The teachers call her mother, who is at a loss. She has taken her daughter to every hospital and doctor and no one seems to be able to give her an answer. She has no support from her husband, who has Aspergers and will not accept treatment for it. Someone give me some ideas for her! Please! She has tried positive reinforcement, it seems she has tried everything in the book. She cannot drive due to partial blindness. She is located in SE Pennsylvania, if anyone can relate! Thanks in advance and I am sorry for the mess of a paragraph, but I am on the phone with her and she's such a mess she can't even cry anymore.

RealityFan

Asked by RealityFan at 4:14 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I, too have a disabled daughter and have had the same problems. My daughter is now 30 years old and is now finally responding
    to priveleges taken away, favorite things taken away, etc. When she was younger though, she didn't care if she was put in a playpen
    as a "timeout", having toys taken away also didn't bother her. I was at my wit's end, also. My pediatrition said to remove myself from her site as a punishment. That was one thing she noticed and cared about. My heart goes out to this mother. It's not an easy road, but as
    I was told many years ago, get a handle on it now or you will be dealing with the same thing when she's as big as you are and much
    harder to handle. God Bless.
    JeannieBee

Answer by JeannieBee at 5:12 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Jeannie, thank you for that. I will suggest it to her. She has been through so much and is ready to lose it. Anything you think of.. please! let me know. Best I can do for my cousin, 300 miles away, is be a shoulder for her. I'm not sure if it will make a difference, but anything is worth trying at this point
    RealityFan

Comment by RealityFan (original poster) at 10:12 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• i am praying for her and her daughter.......im also praying for you because you are stressed out as well it seems!! you are trying your hardest to get some kind of help for her and thats awesome.....i wish i could do something for you and your cousin......im sorry i cant help.....all i can do is pray for you all
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 11:50 PM on Dec. 17, 2010