Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My boyfriend

Is depressed because he feels as though he should be further along in life than he is. He works at a retail store and hates it, and only works there because the military, which he intended on joining, said he could not re-enlist due to prior medical conditions. Because of this, he is withdrawn, moody, almost always tired when he is with me, and is showing little affection. I tell him how much I love him and highlight all of his positive qualities, offer to be a listening ear if he wants to talk, and let him know I'm there for him. I also try to remind him that he is worthy of people's love, and that eventually things will get better. Do you think there is anymore I can do than what I've already mentioned? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated; I would love for my boyfriend to be happy again.

Answer Question

Asked by countrygirl1987 at 4:20 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Relationships

Level 9 (364 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • maybe talk to him about seeing a dr for depression.

    Answer by AFMF920 at 4:23 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

  • I think he should go see a counselor or a doctors to look into anti-depressants.
    What you're doing is great but for some depressed people it isnt enough some need professional help. Keep being there for hm. I'm sure it helps but try to talk to him into professional help.

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:24 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

  • Is there a way to do that without seeming confrontational?

    Comment by countrygirl1987 (original poster) at 4:24 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

  • my husband had the same problem fora while.. .until i helped him find a job he was happy wth and loved doing.

    Answer by GarciaMommy915 at 4:33 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

  • Here's the main issue. He has applied to other places, but never hears back. Went to school for one year, but started working full time, and can't afford to not have his current job right now, so it stinks.

    Comment by countrygirl1987 (original poster) at 4:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

  • It sounds like he needs to talk to a counselor and maybe get some medication. You can help him find some therapists in his area, give him the information, and let him make the call. Help him on the path, but let him walk it. Continue to keep the lines of communication open and let him know you are there for him and you love him.

    Answer by MeandMyBabes at 6:52 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

  • He is not in a good place, he needs to get back to school because he wants a future and feels he is at a dead end. I think you should take him to a college career counselor at any local college and see if there are some special grants, scholarships or any special funding he could get to get him back in school, even a course at a time would make him feel better and more on track.

    Answer by spottedpony at 1:11 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Relationships

Next question overall (Just for Fun)
Anyone regret their first time? adult content