following directions

my daughter has a very hard time following directions shes 5, if you tell her its time to clean up your mess, she says okay like i ment later! Anybody have any good advice?

courtneycra

Asked by courtneycra at 4:23 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Give very specific tasks. Like "Go pick up the toys off the floor in your room". Sometimes little kids get overwhelmed by 'go clean your room" I had this issue with my oldest who has ADHD. Even as an adult I have to be very specific or he gets flustered.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:26 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Stick right with her, give her specific tasks and immediate follow up. Don't give her the chance to put it off until later. Too many adults think they can just say it and walk away - but as the parent, you have to show her that you mean business.
    5 year olds are very capable of following directions. My kids are 4, 5, 6, and 8 - and all of them needed to learn to complete a job when they are asked to complete a job. Now, because they understand exactly what is expected, they're completely capable of getting a job done as asked.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 5:03 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I think she sounds 5 (or 15). Be specific in your directions and make sure you enforce that she follows through. Good Luck!
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 9:06 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I like to transition activities...... like "we'll be going to the store now and you can choose tonight's dessert. As soon as those crayons are picked up you can get your shoes on!" or "I was hoping we could go for a walk and check the mail together but there's lego's everywhere. how quickly can you get them picked up"?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:30 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I agree with the first answer. Giving specific directions will help her focus on what she needs to do. Also, if you want it done now, say so. I also never say, "Will you go clean your room?" or "How about you clean your room?" or "Want to clean your room?" because they can always just answer "NO."
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:19 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I think kids tend to not really pay attention to directions at that age. My son is 11 and still has issues with it a lot of the time.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:14 PM on Dec. 22, 2010