Getting son off bottle.......ugggggggggggggggggggg!!!

My son is 17 months old and very small for his age he is the size of a 8 month old..... anyway we have had a very hard time getting him off the bottle my other two were off my 9 months!!! Anyway I asked for tips on this the other day and alot of ladies said just give him his milk in a sippy cut and if he gets thirsty enough he will drink from it...... well he isnt and he hasnt had anything to drink since last night he is refusing do i give in and give him a bottle or should I keep letting him go without til he drinks from the stupid cup????? I DONT NEED BASHING ON HIM STILL BEING ON THE BOTTLE IM WELL AWARE HE SHOULD BE OFF!!! any good advice is welcome.... Thanks!!!

scaredmommy08

Asked by scaredmommy08 at 4:04 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe you could try a sippy cup that looks more like a bottle. Kmart carries some they come in red, purple, orange, and green and look similar to a bottle. This might make the transition easier.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 4:09 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Don't feel bad that he is still on a bottle- he certainly is not going to go to first grade with a bottle. You could try just making it so he can have a bottle only if he is sitting on your lap and when/if he starts playing the bottle goes away until next time (which I would wait awhile for). Keep offering the cup and tell him that big boys gets cups not bottles. As long as you are brushing his teeth and not letting him go to sleep with it I see no harm in giving a bottle. My youngest had a hard time giving up the bottle too- she is now almost 15 and believe me there was no damage to her teeth and like I said she didn't go to first grade with it.
    candygirl1030

Answer by candygirl1030 at 4:11 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• opps there is a typo or two in my last post- sorry I really do know how to talk properly. lol
    candygirl1030

Answer by candygirl1030 at 4:12 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I wouldn't think of bashing because he is still on the bottle. Do moms actually do that? It is a mom's choice when her child comes off the bottle. The age of 3 might be pushing it, but 17 months is not.
    My daughter was breast fed until just past her first birthday, becasue of this, she never wanted a bottle or even a pacifier. She had a paci for a few months but just stopped taking it at about 5 or 6 months. So, i feel lucky that I never had to deal with taking those things away. But my niece was stuck on the paci until almost 3. It was a real fight for my SIL to take that away. So, different strokes for different folks.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 4:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• But the Kmart cups we used were a good transition because they have a latex nipple type top. It is just more sippy cup shaped than a bottle nipple. They also have a plastic cover like a bottle.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 4:28 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• We also used sippy cups that have a soft, flexible spout. Our daughter was 15 months when she quit. She would ask for a bottle, but we used distraction to get her mind off of it. I found that if I let her "help" me get a drink for her, she was more likely to accept it. I let her find the cup (we kept it in a low cabinet so she could reach) and then she helped to pour the milk in it. I've heard straws can work too.
    Anonymous

• try one of those spill proof straw cups thats how i got mine of the bottle he needed something to suck on and at first no sippy cup would do. so i tried them and aww it was a miracle he took right to them and now is using a sippy cup fine it's just a transition thing you'll be fine
    humboldtmama21

Answer by humboldtmama21 at 5:54 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• dont feel bad hun, my daughter is gonna be 2 and she wont take her milk out of a regular cup or her sippy. Now juice out of either one.. oh she will drink that. Not milk. I have her on the sippy cup with the stage 1 nipple thats more like a bottle nipple so they really dont notice the difference. Now my problem is I want her to drink milk out of the sippy.. hmmm not easy. Got rid of the bottle though. Dont give up, just try the cup with the different nipples on it. The playschool brand is great. Walmart has it and you can buy replacement nipps if you need them. No much money either. good luck
    Chloeandjames25

Answer by Chloeandjames25 at 6:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I'd just introduce every sippy I could find until I found one he would drink from, before he is weaned. Once he is used to drinking from the cup, take the bottles away slowly, and offer the cup more and more. And like another poster said, when he is playing, take the bottle away. Don't let him run around all day with it. Good luck!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 8:53 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• My daughter was on the bottle until she was 18 months. I just decided to stop one night and stuck to my guns. She refuses to drink milk anymore because it's not in a bottle, but there are other ways for her to get the calcium and nutrients in milk, like yogurt and cheese. I told her the bottle was "All Gone" and threw the bottles away. And it worked! Turns out, she was just drinking out of the bottles as a comfort thing and didn't really miss the milk when it was gone. Maybe you could try that. I hope it helps! :)
    QTMakaylasMom

Answer by QTMakaylasMom at 10:52 PM on Nov. 8, 2008