dont know what to think?

My 8mo old son was eating sweet pototoes, but only those. He is breastfed and will take breastmilk from a bottle finally after a month of working with him to do this. He is having difficulty gaining weight and i am concerned about it. He is my 4th son and i never had this problem with the other boys. He was born 8lbs 3oz and now only weighs a little over 13lbs as of last week. I have a earlyl childhood development degree so i knew to call in early intervention when i noticed his low tone. He is not sitting up, crawling or even rolling over, except from belly to back. I am hoping that once we get his weight and strenght up that his developmental delay will no longer be an issue. I dont know what to think of this. I am wondering if it could be something genetic, behavioral or with the feeding issues something to do with reflux. Has anybody else experienced this? I have already talked with my pediatritian and his bloodwork came back fine. My next step is to go to childrens hosp here in PGH and get him eveal. in the developmental specialty unit. I am doing what i can for him...i am just wondering if any other moms had a similsr experience and what the outcome was. Thanks.....oh and please no rude comments i am already upset unough.

team21

Asked by team21 at 4:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is he, for starters?

Just because bloodwork is fine doesn't mean squat - bloodwork doesn't show if there's something muscular going on. I would definitely take him for the eval, especially if your gut is saying "dig deeper" - you are your baby's biggest advocate. But, again, that would, for me, depend how old he is.
    Anonymous

• for starters? THAT IS THE FIRST Thing i mentioned! please read the question before answering. And i was just emphasizing that his bloodwork was fine so he was not deficient in any vitamin or anything!!!! no wonder you answered annon...lol
    team21

Comment by team21 (original poster) at 5:59 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• my cousins son is the same way he is 9 months old and just started sitting up he is about 20 pounds tho! she has never taken him to the doc for it tho! some kids just develop slow its ok im sure he is fine! u are doing a great job! go see the specialist if u are really worried, maybe ask the doc wat u can do to help with his weight! good luck! :-)
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 6:36 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Have you thought about dairy allergy? That can cause slow weight gain. Are his diaper counts good? Poop normal? He's obviously not absorbing enough of what you're putting into him... the question is why. Dairy elimination would be the first thing I tried, and then go from there with the doctor and see if it's another digestive disorder or problem.

Can you pump at all? I would try pumping milk, letting it settle in the fridge and then skimming the fat off the top to feed by spoon or add to his food. Other high-fat foods are a good idea... avocado, etc... You need to figure out why it's happening, but you do also need him to gain weight.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 6:46 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• There might be something else going besides the low muscle tone. You might seek out lifetimelove. She's a member of the Breastfeeding Moms group and is our go-to mom on babies with issues like yours. Your story sounds very* much like hers.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:47 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I agree with gdiamante. I was thinking about lifetimelove when reading this as well.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 10:15 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Thanks for sharing......keep sharing. You already are doing what you a supposed to but share, share, share. Our cafe moms will share right back. I will send you some support whenever you need a sounding block.

rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 12:02 AM on Dec. 18, 2010