Bank to Take Down Crosses and “Merry Christmas” Buttons so People Wouldn’t Be Offended?

PERKINS, Okla. — A small-town bank in Oklahoma said the Federal Reserve won’t let it keep religious signs and symbols on display.

Federal Reserve examiners come every four years to make sure banks are complying with a long list of regulations. The examiners came to Perkins last week. And the team from Kansas City deemed a Bible verse of the day, crosses on the teller’s counter and buttons that say “Merry Christmas, God With Us.” were inappropriate. The Bible verse of the day on the bank’s Internet site also had to be taken down.

“I don’t think there should be a problem with them displaying whatever religious symbols they want to display,” said Amy Weierman, a Perkins resident.

Specifically, the feds believed, the symbols violated the discouragement clause of Regulation B of the bank regulations. According to the clause, “…the use of words, symbols, models and other forms of communication … express, imply or suggest a discriminatory preference or policy of exclusion.”

The feds interpret that to mean, for example, a Jew or Muslin or atheist may be offended and believe they may be discriminated against at this bank. It is an appearance of discrimination.

But customers Eyewitness News 5 talked to said they aren’t buying it.

“This is just ridiculous,” said bank customer Jim Nyles. “This whole thing is just ridiculous. We all have regulatory bodies that govern us. But this is too much."

http:/ /www. koco.com/r/26162860/detail.html

Would the Christmas symbols "offend" you if you banked there?

SavageGrl

Asked by SavageGrl at 4:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I can understand the crosses for a lot of people but the Merry Christmas thing is just plain stupid. With the rate people are going sooner or later no place will be allowed to put up any decorations in fear of people getting offended over the stupidest stuff.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:44 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• i dont think they should be able to say you cant have stuff like that! it would not offend me AT ALL! i dont think Chrst should be takin out of anything!! they wouldnt tell a muslim or someone like that to take there thing off there head. how do they know that dont offend us. it dont but how do they know!
    mommy2be0611

Answer by mommy2be0611 at 4:46 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• the feds believed, the symbols violated the discouragement clause of Regulation B of the bank regulations. According to the clause, “…the use of words, symbols, models and other forms of communication … express, imply or suggest a discriminatory preference or policy of exclusion.”

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:47 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• The feds shouldn't be able to come into a business and take down religious symbols. First Amendment says no.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 4:49 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I hardly get offended much anymore. This country (America) should embrace diversity, but the minute one does, it offends "someone." Sadly, the world is crazy PC and in a weird mental way, that attitude will set us up for shutting up when we have freedom of speech. I guess I am in a bad mood today :P
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 4:50 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• The feds shouldn't be able to come into a business and take down religious symbols. First Amendment says no

I agree and isn't that scary. What's next, eh? Our homes? Hmmm.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 4:52 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• The religious stuff wouldn't offend me, but I doubt I would bank there as a non-Christian. I'd rather find a more professional bank to do business with that appears welcoming to everyone. Putting bible verses up on their website every day doesn't give that message.

Banks are heavily regulated by the federal government, so I'm not surprised they got pinged for this.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:52 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• why does being pro-something automatically make you anti- something else.....I don't get it :0
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 4:56 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Putting bible verses up on their website every day doesn't give that message. Answer by anng.atlanta a minute ago
    --------------------------
    Why would a non-believer have a problem with a Bible verse? The bank is probably using inspirational words from the Bible... not the hell and damnation ones. C'mon.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 4:56 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Anng. pretty much summed it up. Except I wouldn't back there because I have a bank I love that I use. However being regulated by the federal goverment means they too are prohibited form "establishing a religion" which is essentially what they were doing with posting bible versus and displaying crosses. Now had a teller had something at tehir individual station or office had one there wouldn't be an issue, but the bank displaying it on their website and violating federal regulations they are mandated to comply with is what got them in trouble.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:02 PM on Dec. 17, 2010