does your child go half or full day?

What is your oppinion of all day Kindergarten? My son goes to all day Kindergarten and i first i didnt know how how well he would adjust, but he sure supised me. He is doing very well....although it did take a while for him not to come home really tired. We keep to a bedtime scedule and that really helps keep him focused. I was just curious to know if your child goes half or full day and what your thoughts are on both. Thanks:)

team21

Asked by team21 at 4:51 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son did all day Kindy and I thought it would be a long day but he did fine and like you sometime we just adjusted bed time! In the end he bennefitted from it and loved it
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 4:54 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Half day, but that's because that's all that's offered at our elementary school. I would prefer full day.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:55 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• All 3 of my kids went half day.
    About 2 mo. in to the school year they would break into small groups and each group would stay after lunch for an extra hour and a half of small group instruction.
    My kids learned more during their half day of school than my gf's kids who had a full day.
    One of the teachers I was friends with said she HATED teaching full day because the second half of the day was a huge waste of time and the kids were just too tired to make it worth much so she just did busy work.
    Anonymous

• My kids are 4, 5, 6, and 8. I love the half day kindergarten program here, it's terrific!
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 5:00 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I'm on my 3rd kid in all day kinder. Love it. His is a long day, though (8:15-3:40, plus about 1/2 hour in before school because his siblings are in middle school and start earlier.) Some weeks he will be really exhausted by Friday afternoon. Those are the weekends that he will put himself down for a nap.

He's done really well, as did his brother and sister (with the same awesome teachers - there are 2 main and 2 assistants.)And he has gone since mid-August without missing a day. I'm impressed. I was worried because he has some medical issues.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:09 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• my son goes for a full day but the afternoon is recess, snack and a 50 minute nap. So i really wish he only had a half a day.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 5:12 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I don't have a kindergartener this year (2 already through and 1 next year), BUT, our kindergarten is 3 full days a week - which I really like. Gets them used to the full days, but gives them a bit of a break every few days.
    Anonymous

• My son is in full day kindergarten this year and my daughter did it a few years ago. It's been fine for both of them. They did half day pre-k, so I knew they would be fine going in anyways.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 6:45 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I like full day kindergarten. I believe it is valuable. Then not every thing is being crammed into a three hour session. She is tired and has a hard time focusing for long periods of time through each subject. Her learning is stimulated in short spurts.
    Niki G.

Answer by Niki G. at 8:06 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I teach first grade and my district lets the parents choose full day or half day kindergarten. The full day parents have to pay tuition. I can see a big difference in the full day versus have day kids. The beginning of the year is a much bigger adjustment for the half day kids and often time they're academically behind the full day kids. When my son gets old enough he will be going to full day kindergarten.

Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 9:20 PM on Dec. 17, 2010