How much does it annoy you to give advice and then have someone turn around and tell you they know what they are going to do but thanks for the advice?

Because I feel if someone knows what they are going to do then why are they asking you for advice? This is mainly a beef I have with parents who ask my advice as a teacher and then disreguard it completely.

Iamasinglemom99

Asked by Iamasinglemom99 at 5:01 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it's important to remember that just because someone asks for your thoughts and opinions it doesn't lock them into a contract with you for taking that advice and using it. Better yet, I avoid "giving advice" and instead answer only what I think I would personally do and note that they have to make their own choices and wish them good luck.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 5:03 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I'll just stop giving advise all together to them
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:04 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Usually they're asking because they want you to tell them that they're right. They want you to validate their opinion. I don't find it annoying, it's the nature of the beast - but sometimes, I find it laughable.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 5:04 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Its very annoying, but still its their decision. But I try to not give advice, when people ask I always ask "are you sure"?
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 5:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Someone may come up with a better idea than the poster, so probably they are just putting it out there to see if they like another idea better.
    zbee

Answer by zbee at 5:08 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• It does not bother me. They may just be trying to find out if their plan is the best, so they hear others, and then decide that yes their plan was best for them.

Answer by Bmat at 5:12 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I wasn't saying it locks them into a contract. But if they need to hit up a school teacher for advice then it just shows that they could use some help and they shouldn't be rude and say that they have it figured out already because if they did they wouldn't be bothering me for advice. Not that I mind giving advice its just I don't want to do it when people who asked me for advice are going to be rude about it.
    Iamasinglemom99

Comment by Iamasinglemom99 (original poster) at 5:12 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Oh, well....here is the deal. I'm a therapist and what I have learned is that any idiot can give advice. And almost every idiot does. If giving advice do not get upset that someone does not take it. You give freely without expectations. When it is followed be flattered. And remember - advice can be followed, taken, and not turn out well at all. I officially stay away from advice professionally. Even when asked directly. I explore various options, provide some sugesstions based on what a patient believes will work best, and then that's it. I know great teachers but I have worked a few who gave very bad advice. It's a crap shoot. So give freely and hope it works out well.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 5:16 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Some Lady's pick and choose the comments they like and the rest classify as bad advice.!

Answer by older at 5:18 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• No I just offer it. If they don't take it then it's their problem. I know they will stay in the same spot until they actually listen to advice

Answer by admckenzie at 5:29 PM on Dec. 17, 2010