When YOU see homeless people, what do YOU do?

misses_nick

Asked by misses_nick at 5:08 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• smile and say hello like I would with anyone else

Answer by admckenzie at 5:18 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Not much really.. I live in a city (and I live city center/downtown) that has thousands of homeless people. I am literally asked for money at minimum 2 on close to every block I walk, everyday.. I can walk into the grocery and be asked for money, walk out and be asked for money once again by the same person. I am friendly, I am cordial but that's about it.

Now.. what do I do for homeless people in my city. I volunteer at 2 different orgs that help homeless find food, shelter, clothing, a residence and even an education. A percentage of our monthly income goes to charities, amongst those charities are local non profit homeless outreach organizations. I also buy food vouchers from a local restaurants, buy hygiene supplies, gather clothing/coats/blankets/shoes bi monthly with a group of friends...and donate all to local shelters.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:34 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I wonder what their story is and how they got to be that way. There is a lady around my neighborhood who lives at a bus bench, but I see her buying stuff at Publix so she does have some money/ I recently during our cold spur I went and offered her some jackets and sweaters to keep her warm and she refused them, she has also refused food. So basically what I do is wonder weather some  live like this by choice or necessity.

Answer by older at 5:16 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• It really depends on their attitude. If they are friendly and not sitting asking for a hand out, I ask them if they could use some food or money.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 5:13 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I feel sorry and wish I could do something for them.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:13 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I always feel sorry for them. And then I wonder what happend to get them there. I like to see the good in people so whenever I see someone with a sign I give them money. And if they choose to spend it on the wrong things then that is there sin.
    dominique1108

Answer by dominique1108 at 5:19 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• It depends on the circumstances, and if they are friendly or aggressive. I've given money, I've given food, and I've done nothing depending on my instincts of the moment. If they are aggressive and try to follow me or corner me, I won't do anything, because it's more likely that they mean me harm or want the money for alcohol. I've even offered to bring back food and had someone say no, because they just wanted money. Also, I rarely carry cash, so sometimes I've wanted to do something and didn't have anything for them. I have given food to local food banks for shelters, etc. too. I don't see many homeless people in my area, but sometimes when we run into some when we go to the city. There used to be a guy who played guitar for hours on 2nd ave in downtown all the time many years ago, and I often gave him money when we went out on the weekends.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 5:22 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Wow.. either someone can't read. Or someone feels that all the work I do for homeless people in my city and all give is a bad thing.

Hmmm wonder which it is..............
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I feel sad but most seem to be there by their own free will. Begging for change with the empty bottle of booze beside them. (At least here) I wish we had more good shelters. We have one that not only houses but also does job training and life skills training and helps them move forward. They can only house 200 at a time sp there are stipulations such as chores and how long you can live there once you are employed.. I wish there was another like it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:43 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Depends on the situation.

If they are walking up and down a line of stopped cars in the middle of traffic(happens a ton around here)I do nothing but smile as they walk by.

If they come up to me while Im packing my kids/groceries in the car I am kind to them but dont give money(I have none to give anyway).

I dont usually carry cash on me and if I do then it has a purpose. Its very rare that I actually give them handouts. I much prefer donating to an organization in the local area that helps them out.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:53 PM on Dec. 17, 2010