fussy baby

my 8 week old is fussy for most of the day. Through out the day she seems to get real uncomfortable and will arch her back, rub her clenched fists along her face and flay her arms and legs. She was also spitting alot so I brought her to the doctor and they said it was acid reflux so they gave her zantac and she was still acting uncomfortable so I put her on soy and the spitting up quit but she still does the flaying and arching her back and getting reall agitated. She is usally fine if I hold her but even then (at least a few times a day) it takes awhile to get her to calm down and comfortable. Then the second I lay her down she gets uncomfortable again. 2 days ago she was trying to poop and was crying the whole time she was pushing and had a real hard time getting it out. I put her on enfamil gentle ease yesterday and she started spitting up again so last night I switched her formula to nutramigen. Any advice would be appreciated

dominique1108

Asked by dominique1108 at 5:15 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I would take her to see a chiropractor. Find a recomendation from a friend and call ahead to see that they adjust infants. (Mine will adjust for free up until the 1st birthday). It stopped my son from excessivly spitting up, and daytime 'fussing'. It is always our first line of defense, before any prescriptions. I cannot tell you how many ped appts it has saved us from.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:50 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• how long did you try the gripe water? You should make sure to do it consistent and often for the first full week at least.. good luck.. nothing helped my colic filled son.. I am sending hugs to you
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:36 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I'm sorry, mama. Formula isn't very easy for babies to digest and can often lead to issues like this. Just keep trying to find a formula that works for her, or like another poster suggested, look in to relactation. You could also find donor breastmilk. Good luck to you and your little one.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:24 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• If you're comfortable with alternative health options I would recommend a trip to the chiropractor as something might be out in her skeletal system causing discomfort. The don't manipulate babies at all like adults it just really soft tapping. My children visit the chiro regularly and I feel it contributes to overall good health.
    Waxing_Lyrical

Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 7:54 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• during/after feeding make sure that she stays in an inclined upward position, so her formula can have the help of gravity, don't just lay her down. (only thing I know sorry)
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 5:24 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Thanks we leave her up for at least 20 min after each feeding and have her bassinet inclined also. I've also tried gripe water. I just got her to fall asleep in her carseat
    dominique1108

Comment by dominique1108 (original poster) at 5:27 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• switching formula often can be hard on baby's tummy. and you might want to try massaging her belly and/or gas drops like mylacon
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:32 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Your baby isn't very old. You still can easily relactate. Breast milk will help with reflex and constipation and digestive issues.

If you wear your baby in a wrap to help here sleep against you rather than sitting her in the car seat, she will be more upright and have an easier time digesting.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:58 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• keep her upright. Hugs, hope she gets better!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 7:26 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Stay on the Gripe Water - it takes a while of using it to be fully effective. My middle DD had this problem. We found the "cure" by accident. When she went to daycare they provided free formula but it was the Carnation Good Start Gentle Formula. We had her on Soy since she was spiting up all the time. The Good start alone made her spit up all the time, but the soy all the time made her tummy rock hard. So when she started daycare, she was essentially getting 1/2 and 1/2 which was perfect! No more rock hard tummy OR spitup! YaY! = happy baby AND parents! GL
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 12:12 PM on Dec. 18, 2010