Applying for a job RIGHT NOW, need an answer fast, please!

When giving my past employment history, there is a speedbump. I was employed as a teller at a bank for 11 months, but was fired. I was fired because in handling tens of thousands of dollars a day, my over and short accounts added up to about $700 and then a guy brought in a phony check and I gave him cash back on it.

I was young and under a lot of pressure at work to be fast. I made the mistake of compromising accuracy for speed, and I would never make the same mistake again.

Do I even disclose the bank as an employer? The job I'm applying for may or may not require cash handling (but probably will).

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 5:18 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think you can omit any experience you want to omit, but if it is important for you to be able to say you have had that experience in order to get the job, you may want to include it. If you include, just be vague. They don't really need every detail. I would only give details in person, where you have opportunity to explain it better.
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 5:21 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• It depends. How long ago was that? How many jobs have you had since then? If it was a year or two ago, you would have to explain the blank in your job history. Would you be able to do that?
    Keep in mind, that you can include it and just be vague about why you left. You can say that "At that time in my life, that job was not for me" When they contact a former employer, they can not ask the employer if you had been fired. They can only ask if they would hire you again.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:22 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• To me anytime you get fired you should not put it on a job application.

Answer by louise2 at 5:21 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• YES say it because if they hire you and then discover later that little fact you'll get fired again. Maybe in reason for leaving state please ask.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:20 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• i wouldnt let them know about it.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:21 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I wouldn't.
    Averylee85

Answer by Averylee85 at 5:21 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• theres prob no way they'll be able to find out soo no i i wouldnt!
    mommy2be0611

Answer by mommy2be0611 at 5:22 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Depending on how long ago it was.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:24 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• you could put it and tell them not to contact supervisor or just not put them on the application.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 5:29 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• you might not even have to put that under past employment, depending on how far back they want to go. Some places dont ask for the reason you left (unless that is the reason you're asking)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:29 PM on Dec. 17, 2010