Do you have a "Family Game Night" and do you believe it's important to do so?

we have started to do it just recently, we have three children but our oldest is 4. now that she can play some games, on Friday nights the 3 of us (and sometimes the 2 year old if she's interested) will play some of her games like candy land, memory, etc. It's been cold here too so we'll have hot cocoa and some kind of snack as we play :) we usually do this about an hour before her bedtime.

anyway i think it's important for us, because hubby works 50 hours a week and doesn't get to spend much time with us. he usually only gets to see his family about 4 hours a day, and the oldest about 2 hours cause i take her to school early. so its nice for them to have some quality time with daddy, and i like the "routine" of it.

we also only eat together as a family on saturdays & sundays, due to the fact he doesn't get home from work til 7:30 or later. it's great to have him there with us, and we'll talk about our day and stuff. again, i think it's important for us since we are forced to spend so little time together.

what about you?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 5:29 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• When my kids were younger we had a family game night. My kids are between 15 and 19 now and they only see their dad part of the day Saturday and part of the day Sunday due to his work schedule. Since we have so little time together our tradition is for all of us to eat dinner together those two days. Sometimes you just have to make the most of what you have and it sounds like you're doing a great job!
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 5:38 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• With my DH schedule we are lucky to get in a family dinner... :0(
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:31 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• My dd is only two, and her bedtime is at 7pm, so no family game night.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 5:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• No. We are empty nesters.

We did when our son was young though. It was always fun and I like to think that it helped up stay connected as a family (in regards to wanting/enjoying doing things together) as our son grew up.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:36 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• My Hubby is gone 4-6 weeks at a time away from home working. Since he's gone a lot, I try to keep it as normal as possible and we all eat supper together every night no matter what Mon- Fri. As for a game night, we do that on Wednesdays after supper. Our boys are 7, 8 and 14 so it's fun to play games. On Wednesdays we don't turn on anything, TV, computers, etc.. It's nice to just sit and laugh.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:36 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• It's just me and my son and we are really busy most of the time- always running around or out doing something so I try to make sure that we get to stay home and relax at least once a week spending some quality time together. The older he gets the more fun we have =)

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:40 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• We have family movie night but not game night that usually leads to the kids fighting.
    foreverof4

Answer by foreverof4 at 7:18 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I believe it is important because it brings the family together at least for one night.
    kim0167

Answer by kim0167 at 7:37 PM on Dec. 17, 2010