What would you do if you found out your daughter was smoking?

I found a cigarette pack in her trash can with cigarette butts in it. She is 15 yrs old. What would you do or say to her about it?

mandynjohnsmom

Asked by mandynjohnsmom at 5:49 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Its her way of being rebellious. Its easier for her to get cigarettes than alcohol because 18 year olds are still in high school with her. She is probably just doing it to be "cool". Everyone keeps telling you to show her her these graphic pics but she's already seen them in health class. Your daughter is acting out. I would be happy that its this and not marijuana, cocaine, or adderall!

I would remind her that smoking will not be tolerated and ask her if she needs help quitting. I would also call your local hospital/nursing home and see if she can go in and talk with a paitent who has emphyzema. Good luck!!
    CayShek

Answer by CayShek at 1:39 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I would take her to The Bodies Exhibit or find a lung cancer education center where she can see the damage is does on a real lung. I think education is always best and you can't just explain it to them, cause it doesn't get through. Take her to meet with and talk to a person who has a trachea tube so they can breath, which they have because they smoked.
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 5:53 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• In 2007 we lost 3 people in a 2 month period to lung cancer, all smokers, and right now a very dear friend is in the hospital dying of cancer....also caused by smoking. See if you can take her to a hospice to meet some smokers dying of cancer....and you might try showing her the affects that smoking has on your looks. Young girls don't want to age quickly and damage their appearance.

Get in touch with a local Stop Smoking program, and see what they suggest.

Good Luck
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:54 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I know this would be a typical answer but I would give her all the reasons she shouldn't be smoking. If she associates with kids that do smoke it may be hard to reason with why a person should not get started in the first place. I think I would ask how she was able to get cigarettes and who would have sold them to her.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 5:56 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I would be shocked since we do not know ANYONE who smokes.
    I guess I would hit the wall... I find it a very disgusting habit.
    I would have her look at EXTREEMLY grafic material of smokers who have lost body parts due to cancer.
    Perhaps even make her write a report on cancer due to smoking. ( we are big on reports)
    Anonymous

• Make her smoke a whole pack one right after another LOL
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 8:21 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Personally I would ask her why she wanted to kill her self. I would take her and show her a picture of what tar looks like in the lungs and have her talk to some one who has lung cancer. Other than that it is up to her.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:55 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I caught my son chewing tabacco at 14, and I was in complete shock. I had a talk with him, told him how disappointed it made me that he would be willing to risk hurting his body like that, and how I felt that I failed him for maybe not talking more about the risks. I then talked through the consequences of long term affects, the health reasons and the financial aspects. After that he told me he was sorry and he stopped...well I thought this past summer he turned 16 and we caught him again. He claimed that he just wanted to try it again, almost threw up and didn't want to do it any more. Whether that was ture or not he was grounded. Unfortunately short of never letting him leave my side ever I can't control what he puts in his body. I feel I've really done all I can, yelling, beating and grounding aren't going to make him stop, so I just keep talking and know it really is up to him now.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:15 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

My mom did this to me when I was caught smoking at 14. I honestly enjoyed it- still smoking 11 years later.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 6:52 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I would talk to her about it and hopefully encourage her to quit.  I would also tell her that she is not to smoke in the house and I'm not supporting her habit.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:15 AM on Dec. 18, 2010