What is the best way to rid of fleas in your home?

My dog has fleas or had them we are treating her but now I have found a few in our home. What do you use to get rid of them?

mandynjohnsmom

Asked by mandynjohnsmom at 5:52 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Pets

• Get borax in the laundry detergent isle. Sprinkle where they are if they are on the carpet. Wait a week and then vacuum up. It kills all the stages of fleas. I had a flea infestation in my house a couple years ago from a tenant before us who didnt treat their infestation well and before we knew it we had a horrible infestation cause of multiplying rapidly.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 5:58 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Baby powder or talcum powder on carpet will help. It gets into where the fleas breathe in and suffocates them. Bombing your whole house would do the trick, but it's a pain in the butt because you have to not be in your house for like 4 hours, and no pets in there while you bomb either. You would have to rewash all of your dishes and such as well because the residue can be on everything. It says on the box covering everything is o.k. but I think re-washing stuff is better.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 5:57 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Using bombs are the only thing that ever worked for us.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 5:57 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• orde some advantage or frontline. I got mine for my cat on a pet store website, 6 month supply for $60. I also vacuumed daily on the areas my cat hung out, and even sofar as in and under the furniture. I put some borax in my vacuum which kills fleas. they were gone in a couple of weeks and havent come back
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:11 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I keep mine on advantage year round so we never have a flea problem.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:21 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I agree..borax is great and can be used safely outside also!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 6:30 PM on Dec. 17, 2010