I am quiting breast feeding and haven't a clue of what to do.

My daughter is getting to old to breast feed. She is so use to it being there and loves it so much. Im ready to stop. I need advice from every angl of this. How to help her being ok with out it, not needing it, and not wanting it. As for me im feeling a little pressure being the first day with out nursing. 5pm 11-7-08 was the last time and daughter will be gone till 7 pm sunday 11-9-08. I figure thats a good start. What next. How do I get rid of the pressure and milk? Advice of redusing discomport, and milk supply too.

beckyla80

Asked by beckyla80 at 4:17 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in General Parenting

• You can't stop COLD TURKEY! It has to be a gradual process. Cut out one feeding ever few days. Start with eliminating one in the middle of the day wait two or three days then eliminate another one. The first feeding of the day and the last should be the last two to be elininated. Doing it gradually is easier on you and the baby.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 4:34 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• You actually can stop cold turkey, but it won't be comfortable physically for you, and your baby will be very unhappy. I had to do it due to medical issues. It sucks, but it can be done. I don't recommend this to any mom. I'm only mentioning it because I went through it.

Do NOT let the shower water hit you directly on your breasts, that will only stimulate the glands to continue to produce. Before you step out of the shower, bend over and let your breasts leak for a minute or two. And DON'T bind your breast. I know lots of women do that, but it's really not worth the risk of infection - trust me, I know. Take Ibuprofen for the achiness, cold packs to relieve the fullness feeling, chilled purple cabbage works wonders - make sure to cut the viens before applying to the whole breast. You'll be leaking like crazy, but like I said it will work. You should dry up in about two weeks or so.
    Anonymous

• I would have to agree with anon, cold turkey hurts like heck. I did it b/c I was going back to work and didnt want to stop until they day I went back.
    I would suggest doing it gradually just like the first post, I did that with my first and we both did fine
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 7:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• give her the breast for the first feeding of the day and the last feeding at night then pump for the rest of the day when you need to and put it in a sippy cup or a bottle for her after you have tried that for a few weeks take her down to only one feeding from the breast a day and pump for her other feedings once she is down to only that one feeding try not to pump so much if you can stand it that will help the milk dry up faster and while doing this introducing her to milk during the day will help make the transition alot easier worked both times for my girls good luck to ya I know its difficult breaking them of the breast
    one_white_rose

Answer by one_white_rose at 9:09 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I stopped cold turkey. my boobs swelled up like a Porn Star. I was in bad pain for at least 48 hours, and then uncomfortable for the rest of the week.

If that's what you want to do, be read for it. Be ready to leak through your shirts again. Hopefully your daughter has taken bottles/cups before (you said she is too old, so I guess she is over 1yrs old???)

Hope you are not hurting too much though.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 9:25 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I agree with the first poster, it is so much better to stop the feedings gradually. My son was only feeding 3 to 4 times a day, and i just cut out one feeding, starting with the one during the day. It is better for baby and momma to do it that way. Engorged breasts are not fun, believe me.....
    Anonymous

• Take one feeding away every few days or you will be hurting. Good luck.
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 10:53 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• like previous moms said do it gradual. I did it abruptly due to a health issue. I needed a medication that was dangerous to nurse on and those first two days my breasts hurt so bad i couldnt hold my baby and I actually would say it was almost as bad as labor. I cried. But by the third day I was feeling pretty good. Im guessing the more bottles your baby gets the more she will learn to love them They are easier to get milk from than the breast
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 1:06 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Today is the day the kids come back. It will be in a few hours and I have to say, I cant wait! Awwww I hurt a bit. A bit like someone used my breast as punching bags.... I took a few breaks today and yesterday. I let them drain a bit over a towel while I did some work over the computer. I was told to not mess with them much to make sure not to stimulate them. Im thinking I HAVE to take the advice I have got from people and S L O W L Y take it away. We both love being close to each other. I love her so much and I will miss this special time together. I like the idea of giving it to her in her cup. I bet she would like that. She does good with sippy cups. I need to pick up a pump tho....... Thank you everyone who added their advice. Please feel free to keep it coming. How long did you ladies breastfeed for?

beckyla80

Answer by beckyla80 at 5:49 PM on Nov. 9, 2008