Does Birth Control Harm a pregnancy in any way?

Ive been on BC for a long time. Recently found out we are pregnant. I havent had my appointment yet but Im really worried about it. I think Im already 10 weeks or so. Maybe less by a week. Anyways, up until now I haev been on the pill. Of course Ive stopped but want to know if it will harm my baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Pregnancy

• my cousin did not know she was pregnant until 5m and she was on bc the whole time her baby was fine.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 4:45 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• f you continued taking your birth control pill because you didn't realize you were pregnant, don't be alarmed. Despite years of this accident happening, there's very little evidence that exposure to the hormones in birth control pills causes birth defects.
    Still, the birth control pill is a potent estrogen. Lessons learned from women who took diethylstilbestrol — a synthetic estrogen that was later linked with cancer — to prevent miscarriage in early pregnancy suggest that such exposure should be minimized.
    from http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/birth-control-pill/WO00098
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 4:46 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• It depends on the method of birth control, hormonal methods, and IUd's could effect a pregnancy.
    haileybeth

Answer by haileybeth at 11:43 AM on Dec. 1, 2009