when should ihave my kids tested for diabetes?

ive been noticing my kids are extremyl thirsty latly and constantly drinking drinking drinking, even if give them water...
should i have them tested for diabetes?
there no diabetes in the family that i know of the only genetic thing i know of is i have graves disease...

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 6:32 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Health

• my daughter was tested at the age of five so i will said anytime
    mwood108

Answer by mwood108 at 9:00 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• There are other signals for juvenile diabetes. Weight loss, excessive sleepiness, yellowed skin tone, extreme hunger and thirst, severe stomach cramps to the point of crying and constipation.

My youngest son has JD or now known as Type I diabetes. We did not really have it in the immediate family but had uncles and cousins on both sides with it. His developed after a virus that destroyed his islet cells.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 6:58 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Believe it or not, in the winter children tend to be more thirsty. It can be decieving seeing as it's not hot out. If it's all of the kids doing it, it's probably not diabetes. They probably need to drink a little extra h2o.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:34 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• If you're worried bring it up to their DR and have them tested soon. There's not such a thing as to young for diabetes.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 6:36 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• My brother has JD, he also had frequent urination, and his thirst was very extreem. Don't borrow trouble, I get so dry and thirsty this time of year.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 8:25 PM on Dec. 17, 2010