HELP!!! cooking a butt end of ham or a whole turkey

I know this sounds horrible but i am responsible for the first time when it comes to making christmas dinner. I have a ham and turkey. I dont even know how to make them. I dont have a meat thermometer or money to buy one. Can someone please help me? Thank you in advance. And please as bad as this sounds dont down talk me.

lnkforever

Asked by lnkforever at 6:34 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Holidays

• One more thing I am afraid of under cooking or over cooking!!
    lnkforever

Comment by lnkforever (original poster) at 6:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• You can get a meat thermometer for $3. You don't have $3? With large pieces of meat, I always use one. Sometimesthings are done sooner and will dry out if you don't check them. But some turkeys have the little button thing on them that pops out when it's done.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:37 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• haha! sometimesthings.....too funny.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:38 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• well music mom that last post seemed a little rude and ya know what there are some people who cant even afford that ok but yes i can afford that i just havent found one that cheap any where! Thanks anyway for the post

lnkforever

Comment by lnkforever (original poster) at 6:47 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• When I was at the dollar store the other day I saw one if you really want one. I personally don't use one. With the ham I think their usually precooked so just cook it for 15 mintues a pound. Turkey cook for 30min an lb and with the turkey I might overcook mine because I take it out when the leg moves easily. Just make sure you bast both really good. You know something I learned at Thanksgiving on GMA.You are supposed to let a turkey set for 30 mintues after cooking it.I used to try to cook both the meat and sides.
    preciouschild

Answer by preciouschild at 7:24 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Nope, not rude, but you seem defensive. I could panhandle three dollars. I don't get it, you are saying you can afford ham and turkey but not a thermometer. You said it not me.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:27 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I didnt buy them they were given to me by a friend! And yes you are right i was defensive and im sorry!
    Elizabeth L.

Answer by Elizabeth L. at 8:38 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Tell her to give me one too! A turkey please! :)
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:51 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• We deep fry our turkey...cooks much faster, about 45 minutes for a 12 pound turkey.
    Joyzap2003

Answer by Joyzap2003 at 12:07 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• they both sound good. good luck on your choice
    kewi86

Answer by kewi86 at 12:12 AM on Dec. 18, 2010