Why do people think it acceptable to be rude and mean on the internet?

I have noticed that no matter where one goes on the internet, people are rude and mean. Why is that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Good Question!!!! If we find out the answer maybe we can work on the solution. Let us be the change in the world that we want to see. Thanks for having some morals and ethics...your parents did their jobs and they would be proud.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 3:01 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Because behind the computer screen, they know they can be however they want and have little to no reprocussions (sp?).
    tagonoo

Answer by tagonoo at 2:39 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Because on the internet everyone is just a screen name to everyone else. It's JUST like asking a question anonymously!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Some people feel secure sitting behind the computer and bravely speak out, some are rude. But, and however, when you ask a question or post for advice getting some you don't necessarily agree with is not always done in a rude manner. I think people cloud that issue: getting info. they don't want or agree with and rudeness. Sometimes they are one in the same, and others times they aren't.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 3:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I second what Teachermom01 said...
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Some people get off on being mean. A lot of times they are not able to vent to people in their real life.
    handsomebabyj

Answer by handsomebabyj at 6:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I think because they hide behind it.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 7:58 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I am not sure, but some of the Moms on cafe Mom should be able to tell you the answer!! LOL !!!
    Anonymous