Do you know any home remedies for a child that has lice?

We live by my mom, and my youngest brothers kids
always have lice, and my daughter keeps getting it
we really cant afford to buy lice medicine every week
and I cant tell my daughter she cant play with them.
What should I do? Please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Kids' Health

• there are several here.

If you have insurance, the doctor's office may be able to help you out as well, with prescription.

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:47 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Comb her hair out really good, then slather her head with mineral & put a shower cap on her. This will smother the bugs & make it difficult for any new eggs to stick to the follicles. Continue to comb the hair out every night before putting the mineral on & covering it again. Do this for two weeks to get all the adult as they hatch. In your home, wash all bedding in super hot water & freeze anything you can't wash.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 6:48 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I've heard olive oil
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 7:24 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Seriously, you need to talk to your brother. That's an issue for school too, I'm sure.
    For you, try olive oil or mayo and if you can afford Cetaphyl cleanser, use that. Google this, it smothers them and blow your child's hair dry, it helps kill the eggs (the heat).
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:27 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• NO MAYO it's bad for you by the time you rinse it out it has all kinds of bacteria in it you can look it up on Google..The best thing I have used (last year and haven't had to do it again yeaaaa) is wash there hair with GREEN APPLE DAWN DISH SOAP like once a week for about a month...make sure you condition so it doesn't dry there hair out....GREEN APPLE suave shampoo wash the hair with it then wash the hair with T-GEL dry scalp shampoo then condition and with the conditioner in comb threw the hair with the lice comb then rinse...I did this every other night for a week they where gone and now I do it once every couple weeks just to make sure...something about the green apple and the T-GEL kills them and it's all natural so it will not hurt them...hope this helps
    firechickk

Answer by firechickk at 7:41 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Use Green Tree Oil it really works. I wet my hair then put green tree oil directly on the hair and massage it in put a shower cap on for 1hr then comb the hair with a lice comb. I would do this at least once a wk. Even tho I don't have it anymore I keep green tree oil on hand cause it really does work.
    dlshaner

Answer by dlshaner at 8:01 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• We had a really bad issue with this last year. Doctor prescribed a cream that is used for scabies. We drenched daughters hair in it , left on over night, washed out (most bugs and nits came right out) pulled all the nits and bugs. Doc also put her on an antibiotic that gets in the blood stream but is posion to lice took a full script of that and haven't had it since. Although it was so ruff last year that anytime she is around another child I check her hair! I looked like a money looking for bugs.
    TiffanyPlew

Answer by TiffanyPlew at 8:04 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• coat hair with mineral or baby oil, cover with shower cap. After about an hour, wash out with dawn dish soap. This will kill the bugs. To remove eggs & nits, soak hair in vinegar, cover with shower cap for at least 30 minutes. The vinegar dissolves the glue. Wash & condition. Comb conditioner through with a metal lice or flea comb to remove any remaining bugs or nits.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:17 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Saturate their hair with a hair conditioner and wrap in cling wrap for a few hours. This will suffocate & kill the live nits and then you comb the eggs out with a nit comb. You need to repeat this at day 7 I think and another 7 days later to kill off any lice that may have hatched from eggs you missed.

To keep them away for girls soak their hair ties in lavendar and tea-tree oil and for both boys and girls add the same two essential oils to your shampoo and conditioner and dab on to the collars of their clothes as it will keep the lice away.

Waxing_Lyrical

Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 7:51 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• i'm sorry, but i would tell her she just can't play with them... honestly? it's not worth it to me to have to deal with an infestation over and over and over... and to pay for remidies time and time again ...
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:21 PM on Dec. 21, 2010