Non-Believers: Does the method of identifying historical dates B.C. and A.D. "offend" you?

Just wondering. Thanks. :-)

SavageGrl

Asked by SavageGrl at 6:46 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I don't care because life is far too precious to waste time getting all stressed out over nothing.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:55 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Non-Believers in what? And the terms "BC and AD" are no longer used. The correct terms are CE (common era) and BCE (before common era). Kind of like we USED to call African Americans "colored" and we USED to call women "girls", but now mature and intelligent people know better.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:04 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Offended? No. I have a background in anthropology, so I tend to prefer BCE and CE. I realize people are often more familiar with BC and AD, so I often write it BCE/BC or CE/AD when I refer to dates on here to prevent confusion.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Non-believers in what? lol. It doesn't bother me, but I have seen B.C. and C.E. used more often these days.

Mama2lm

Answer by Mama2lm at 7:31 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• No, I wasn't offended when those were in mode.  Does it offend you that B.C. and A.D. are out-dated ways of referring to history?

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 7:48 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Do people still use BC and AD? I thought it has switched over to BCE and CE years ago. No it doesn't offend and non-believer of what?
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:48 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I thought it was BC and CE. I know what is meant by BC and AD and generally it does not bother me. It's not like it was always that way. Calendars have many different ways of being calculated The current gregorian calendar using AD was greated in the 1500's and the one before that using the Julian Calendar did not come into effect until the 800's. It simply reflects the religious preferences of Europe at the time. Perosnally thought I prefer to use BCE and CE
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:02 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• No. It takes an awful lot to "offend" me.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:02 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Non-believers in what exactly? I don't believe in wearing shoes... those things are such a pain in the ass and I don't believe in them, we shouldn't have to wear them. Bare feet or stocking feet are the way to go, man. As an non-believer in shoe-wearing, I don't take offense at BC and AD, but I tend to use the more common (and less outdated) BCE and CE. Maybe the unenlightened shoe-wearers still use BC and AD... I don't pay much attention to such silly things.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:44 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• i dont care
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 6:52 PM on Dec. 17, 2010