do you think it is bad parenting to have over weight kids?

maya123

Asked by maya123 at 7:29 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• Honestly yes. You can tell when your kids getting fat and parent continue to pump them full of junk.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is overweight and we are getting her straight and I think it is neglectful if parents do nothing to help the situation
    JuJubean1979

Answer by JuJubean1979 at 7:32 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• harris4, I'm pretty sure that many of us said that we weren't talking about kids with medical conditions like your daughter has.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:59 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• overweight no, obese yes
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 7:39 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• THis is an interesting question. I doubt it but I've wondered, barring a health condition, why some kids are so overweight/why a parent wouldn't help make healthier choices but IDK.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:31 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Not exactly bad parents, but very often there are unhealthy choices, and inactivity that result in over weight kids.

Answer by older at 7:32 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Yep, I think it's laziness, apathy, or ignorance on the part of the parents, unless there is a legitimate medical reason for it to have happened, which is not the case in the vast majority of people, children AND adults, in the U.S.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:38 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• In some cases. In a case where the child has no medical indication for the excessive weight, yes, I believe it is poor parenting. I am talking about severely overweight not a little chunky though or proportionately big (90% in height and weight).
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:31 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• kinda yeah. I would automatically think that you hadn't taught your child healthy eating habits, and that you don't make your child get involved in physically active activities.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 7:40 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• In a. way, yes, if the parents are feeding the child junk all the time and never teach to eat healthier or how to make better choices. It could also mean thee parents have been neglectful about letting their child play outside and get exercise. Of course its completely different if the child has a medical condition causing the obesity, although that should be taken care of as well.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 7:40 PM on Dec. 17, 2010