What does

age appropriate mean to you?

Let me explain, I'm 45 and in great shape. I look like I'm 32 and sometimes wear short skirts, curve hugging dresses, etc. but my mother (and this isn't just now...she's been saying this since I was 30) is forever saying, "you should wear something more age appropriate" and to be honest, I have no idea what she's really talking about because since fashion is an individual thing, what is "age appropriate" for one person may be something that someone else wouldn't even wear to take out the garbage.

ShouldHaveLeft

Asked by ShouldHaveLeft at 7:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• Well, it depends. And some people are just really conservative, they believe skirts should end at the knees regardless of age, for instance.

I think it is great that you are in shape and can wear clothing to show your figure as long as it is done tastefully. It sounds like your mother is just overly conservative on clothing. What does she wear? Is it age appropriate? Maybe ask her what it means.

Flaunt it? Yes, to some degree...but the mother of 4 boys I know in a string/thong bikini was just so wrong to me at our pool this summer, even though she is a marathon runner and so on...just not a suit a mother of 4 should be wearing...things like that do bug me too...hope that doesn't mean that I should have the sweater with the kitten!

..and btw, 45 looking 32...your husband is really nuts!!!!

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:01 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• There should be no such thing as age appropriate for adults!......let us concentrate on those with the muffin top because they tried to squeeze into jeans that were 3 sizes too small!...lol
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 7:43 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I think once you're over 18 it becomes less about age appropriate and more about not being gross and exposing more than everyone else wants to see.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 7:46 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• If you've got it, flaunt it. I'm not the least bit put off by a middle aged woman who looks good in clothes that I would wear. Shit, I hope I look that good in 15-20 years! What are you supposed to be wearing? Khaki slacks and a sweater with a kitten sewed onto it? Hahaha!
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 8:19 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Nanixh...right...that's what I say
    ShouldHaveLeft

Comment by ShouldHaveLeft (original poster) at 8:24 PM on Dec. 17, 2010