to those that know about laptops and chargers

ok so my charger is broke that goes to my laptop. It is a 75watt. Well, I have a printer dock for my digital camra that would fit my computer, but it is I think like 100watt. Well my question is if I use the 100 watt on my laptop when it is noramlly a 75watt will that mess up my computer? Will it mess up the charger? I want to make sure it doesn't mess up my computer cause I need it, but I also want to make sure it isn't going to mess up the charger too because well I need my camra lol. Thanks!

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 7:49 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Technology

• No, it will not mess it up. Laptops will only draw the amount of power that they need. For instance, I have a Macbook, it originally came with a 60 watt charger which broke. I use an 85 watt charger on it now. It's fine. My husband is a major computer geek, he's the one that told me it's fine to use and I'd trust him about anything computer.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 7:57 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Oh, and I've been using the higher wattage charger for 3+ months, not an issue.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 7:58 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• My fiance works with computers -- he has a 6 pc network just in the house -- and he also says it will work fine.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 8:06 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• It may not be your charger, it might be the connection,, bad news, it cost me 150 dollars to get it fixed, if the light is on the charger, not broken, if the light is off on the lap top when you plug it in, you might be able to get a connection, but hopefully it is the charger, 20 bucks at radio shack, take the computer in and they can tell you the problem.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 7:53 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• yes!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 7:50 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• yes as in it will mess it up?
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 7:51 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• yes it will mess it up!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 7:54 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• it is the charger the piece you plug into the laptop to charge it is broken it is completely broken off
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• It will be bad for your laptop, especially the battery. It will probably not damage your charger. You should be OK for a day or so with it, but more than that you are just asking for trouble. Batteries and laptops are more expensive than chargers usually, so go out an get a charger and save yourself a headache down the road.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 7:56 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• ok thank you ladies I am using it, but wanted to make sure before I did it lol
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 8:11 PM on Dec. 17, 2010