Please help me, I need legal advice about my living situation??!

Aside from the fact that my landlord left me with sewage in my shower and non-functioning toilet for three days, they claim they have been woking on a quote to solve the problem for the past ten days. I called the health department, and now they are pissed off... what the hell am I supposed to do? Unfortunately, at the SAME TIME me and my two room mates have not been getting along. Things have escalated to an uncontrolable manner. I had told them obviouslythings weren't going to work out, and I would see if I could find someone to cover my lease. Instead, one brother has been screaming at me, treating me like ****, he doens't know up from down because he is a drunk all the time. I told him I'd talk to him sober, and he told me "**** you". I said it a second time and he pretty much refuses to be sober. I broke down and ended up screaming at him and I left the house feeling like an idiot. He called me and we spoke. Of course no issues resolved. He keeps saying "i'm an alcoholic and my brother is a computer geek and you're just gonna have to deal with it" because they are lazy, IRRESPONSIBLE excuses for adults. Aside from the personal issues I have with them, I left the house and drove to Madera. I haven't been staying at home because of the plumbing and because I do not feel safe they. I said SEVERAL times I would be looking for someone to take over my lease because without going into unessecary detail, we obviously won't work. We need and expect different things. (in other words, I'm an adult... also pregnant... and not ABOUT to put up with THIS for two more seconds). He keeps saying "you signed a one year lease baby. You're stuck here for one year... ha ha ha." Why the HELL would he even WANT me to stay there with THIS going on? I told him I was at my mother's house and I would talk to him when he was sober. He said "**** you" and then sent me a text saying "get your *** back her and talk to your room mates or get the **** out"..... I am threatened. I do not feel safe. I have done EVERYTHING in my power, pregnant and all, to just ignore their rude, rude, rude irrational statements and have said repeatidly, "we don't need to get into detail. We just need to be civil until someone can take over my lease". We would probably be able to get out of lease as it is with the sewage problem. Of course, my room is a million times worse than theirs and they are lazy idiots and would rather sit in a house where the entire plumbing has to be torne out than get out of an OBVIOUSLY horrible situation. We have only been there for three weeks. I have called the office, and seeing as it is ten til five, I'm sure they won't be calling me back. I spoke with the head office manager and she said "well why did you move in with them." OBVIOUSLY if I had an inkling that THIS would be what would happen I would NEVER have done it. I can't predict the future. I need help. I am out of my mind. I cannot find any other solution and I can't be expected to live in a place where the sewage breaks every 3 days and my "room mates" are threatening me and cursing at me.... I know if there is domestic abuse a lease can be terminated, but without physical violence isn't there SOMETHING I can do to get out of this situation.

poweredbycarma

Asked by poweredbycarma at 7:56 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• Unfortunatley you are stuck. You've only been there for 3 weeks? If I were you I'd take this as a live and learn, and next time be more careful who you sign a legally binding contract with next time. Doesn't sound like people you'd want to move in with anyway. Not a place for your child to live.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:01 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I will break the contract before I have a child in that house. There are laws that prevent this. Like when domestic violance occurs, people can breakt here lease. There is a solution, I just don't know what it is.
    poweredbycarma

Comment by poweredbycarma (original poster) at 8:28 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• You can move out and not pay the rent. That's fine. But you are going to have a hard time proving that without police reports. You will still be responsible whether or not you are there. I know it's not what you want to hear, but it's true.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:34 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I'm not retarded. I know everything you are telling me. I am a grown ass women and I got tricked into a shitty shitty situation. The adult thing to do would be to get someone to take over my lease and stick it out until then. But now they are threatening me. We COULD get out of the lease legally because of the sewage. ANd I want to, but they wont' because they are lazy idiots. I thought about filing a police report, but my stuff is at the house and I don't want things getting broken. All my son's photos and everythign are there. Those are irreplaceable. he is no longer living. I was seeking legal advice, not common sense. Not to be rude, but I already know everything you are telling me. I have lived on my own since I was 18 and never had a problem. Sometimes things like this happen, and the law is there to protect us, but I am human and I don't kow every aspect of the law. Thanks for your help anyway.
    poweredbycarma

Comment by poweredbycarma (original poster) at 8:43 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Okay, go be nasty some where else instead of pretending you are asking for help. NO one put a gun to your head and made you sign a lease. Own up. People don't just become abusive in three weeks. If you know all this, why the hell are you asking us?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:46 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Could you maybe contact a pro-bono attorney in your area and get a consult from them to discuss your legal options? I sure as heck wouldn't want to be in that situation either, and it sounds like you're quite upset because of it. I hope you find a way out of living there. Sorry couldn't be of much help though.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 8:52 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I'm not being nasty. I already know the things you are saying to me. Those are common knowledge. I am asking about the specific laws or from advice from people who have been in teh same situation. And YES people DO become absuive in three weeks, as long as they feel they have control over you. And they do. I NEVER EVER EVER Sign leases and this is why, but I had NO other option at this point. Because, like I said, my son died recently and all the medical bills have utterly detroyed my credit. And now this is about to as well. I have been civil and done the correct thing. You are only telling me things I have already stated. I am not being rude, I am telling you "THANKS ANYWAY" but I am looking for MORE detailed LEGAL advice.
    poweredbycarma

Comment by poweredbycarma (original poster) at 8:53 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• THanks Nanixh. I am going to contact a lawyer office tomorrow. But I don't believe anyone is pro-bono. I know there is some sort of serviceyou can pay for a consultation, but that's it.
    poweredbycarma

Comment by poweredbycarma (original poster) at 8:55 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• LMAO that is what an attorney will tell you!! I'm spelling it out for you. They will rule in favor of your landlord. But don't listen to me. YOu'll find out for yourself. Bye now!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:16 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• google the tennant laws of your state (and city if you live in a large city) and take a good look at your lease...many places have laws and/or clauses in the lease that allow either the landlord or the tennant to terminate the lease within the first 30 days for any reason. also, with the sewage problem and you being pregnant you should be able to get out of the lease wether your roommates do or not. if you dont have the cash, just speak to your landlord nicely but matter of factly and state that you have consulted a lawyer (even if you havent) and that you are prepared to go to court to get out of your lease...state that you have cause due to the sewage problem and the hostile environment. tell the landlord that you would rather not take it to court and prefer to work this out directly....they'll probably fold. but be prepared to take it to court for real if they call your bluff.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 10:16 PM on Dec. 17, 2010