my breast hurts!!

i'm bfing my dd <11 weeks> and i woke up around 4 this morning with my breast really sore, and incredibly painful to touch... i *very painfully* rubbed and pushed around feeling for lumps and looking for any other sign of infection, but i found none... my sister suggested to take a warm shower and to massage the breast, but that didn't work... does anyone have any idea what is going on, or a way to relieve the pain.. it really hurts to feed her with that breast, too.

AudlyLuvly

Asked by AudlyLuvly at 5:10 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Another thought would be thrush. Does your baby have white spots in her mouth that don't wipe off? Here are 2 articles one has links to information on thrush and the other is about clogged ducts and mastitis. I hope something helps!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush/thrush-resources.html  

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 7:04 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• it might be because you are really full, try pumping. if that doesn't work take a warm cloth and put it inside your bra, other then that i'm not sure. go to this website for more info. http://parenting.ivillage.com/newborn/nbreastfeed/0,,3wz1,00.html
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 5:13 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• no my breast isn't full either... it's actually kind of limp! it's getting fuller now.. but.. it hasn't been full...
    AudlyLuvly

Answer by AudlyLuvly at 5:20 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Sounds like you may have a case of mastitis, it is very painful. The most important thing is to feed on that breast like normal, if you stop feeding on it, it will get worse. You also need to see a doctor to get antibiotics. You may notice your breast getting warm also, but you may not have a change in color of the milk. This is something that has to be treated by antibiotics, because if it is left on its own, it can make your whole body hurt and feel like you have a really bad flu. If anyone tells you to quit breastfeeding on it, DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM!!!! You need to continue feeding. You can do a search online to find more info on mastitis, i think that is the spelling. You should be able to find a lot of info on it.
    boy_or_girl

Answer by boy_or_girl at 5:36 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• is it your breast or nipples??? is your baby latching on correctly???? if its you nipples try lansinoh brand lanolin it helps soothe your nipples. I also agree with the above advice warm washcloths to help ease the pain!!!!
    tatalalicious

Answer by tatalalicious at 5:54 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• oh! i know that sucks. feed through it, it may hurt, maybe the whole time just get through it. and, put a cabbage leaf, cold, in your bra, it will take down inflimation. something about the chemicals in cabbage help reduce swelling. good luck. : (
    windowgirl

Answer by windowgirl at 6:33 PM on Nov. 8, 2008