when a guy says he is tough at love what does he mean? he talks and says the sweetest things, says he is not jealous, but keeps asking if i hang out with one of his friends just out of curiosity....watches me when i talk to his friend and makes an excuse for his friend to leave....what should i think???

tough with love? what does this mean?

jsprout

Asked by jsprout at 5:11 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Relationships

• He means he dosnt know how to be in an adult relationship. That he has never done it or is not sure how to act.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/48748/

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:23 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• You say he isnt jealous but then he does this?
    Maybe he is lacking security in the realationship, in himself, and has nothing to do with you, and he is trying in his way to protect you from other men, and maybe his friend he has known longer or just as long as you and know how he really is, his buddie must tell him things, that he doesnt approve of hon,
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 5:25 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• it means he's a control freak and will watch you and control you for the rest of your life. His TOUGH love means he'll get tough with you if you don't be his Stepford Woman

Answer by admckenzie at 6:06 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• i think he means that he is a moron. he is just making excuses for being a jealous controlling freak. leave him. love shouldn't be tough but kind and understanding, trusting. that's not your man.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:17 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I really agree with Vbruno on this one. This guy is clueless and the only way he can disguise his inexperience or inability to build a relationship is by sounding TOUGHT and in control. You are in for a long, bumpy road because from my own personal experience after six years of push and pull my children's dad still doesn't know how to be with us and on occasion will still say -I don't know what i want...which is the equivalent of "I'm tought at love."...Basically, "Don't blame me if you end up hurt, because i am giving you the heads up about me...in the mean time don't be looking or talking to other men...you are not tough at love, i am...so i might screw up and bang other chicks...nothing personal...just remember i told in the beginning---I AM TOUGHT AT LOVE"

Loba

Answer by Loba at 6:25 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I don't know...maybe he means he had a tough time with love...it sounds like by the way he acts that he might have been cheated on before. That's not your fault though so you shouldn't feel like you're being babysat around his friends.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:41 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• control freak for sure. just be careful because relationships like this dont go well. find someone who can have good happy love, not TOUGH love.
    bubblebean

Answer by bubblebean at 8:39 PM on Nov. 8, 2008