G.K. Chesterton Quote: What Do You Think?

"There are those who hate Christianity and call their hatred an all-embracing love for all religions."
-G.K. Chesterton

Comments?

flatlanderjenn

Asked by flatlanderjenn at 8:38 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Wow ... that rings true, doesn't it?
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 8:47 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• It seems he is implying that the only love of religion there can be is that in favor of Christianity and nothing else. In which case I whole-heartedly disagree.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:52 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• KristiS11384

Actually, he's saying that those who say that they "embrace all religions" usually hate Christianity .... he's pointing out the irony (and hypocrisy) of people who are trying to be "tolerant" and/or "accepting" of "all" religions.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 9:04 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I think he was referring to people like Kristi that see the word Christian and jump to the wrong conclusion.
    Anonymous

• I get what he is saying and think it is very true...it seems to be the cool thing to do now is condemn Christianity.
    Brickhouse95

Answer by Brickhouse95 at 9:48 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• "Actually, he's saying that those who say that they "embrace all religions" usually hate Christianity .... he's pointing out the irony (and hypocrisy) of people who are trying to be "tolerant" and/or "accepting" of "all" religions. "

I don't agree at all. Heck, I AM a Christian and I "embrace all religions". I definitely don't hate Christianity, lol, and I certainly don't feel that I'm being hypocritical in "trying to be 'tolerant' and/or 'accepting' of 'all' religions". I know many who aren't Christian who feel this way without hating Christianity. Many of them actually respect and admire the person of Jesus and his message and some even pull from aspects of Christianity or at least from Jesus and other prominent thinkers within the Christian tradition.... Many religions, even, are tolerant and accepting of other faiths and even incorporate Jesus into their tradition. So I don't believe or agree with this at all....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:52 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Sounds like a comment an "orthodox" christian would make.
    H.I.S.

Answer by H.I.S. at 11:18 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I think that we have a dyed-in-the-wool, thoroughly brainwashed godslave here. I am honest enough to say that I hate ALL religions for the damage that they do. I don't REMEMBER pretending to be otherwise.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 10:09 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• well how about huggs for everyone who believes this theory....alittle thought less......i guess i'm learnin something today I thought I read alot but not near as much you...way to go....it's awsome that you can read that...I would get frustrated and walk away from the book..tea break anyone.lol....seriously I guess idon't believe you need to read and b elive everything
    onaugh

Answer by onaugh at 11:33 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

Is there a problem with Christian orthodoxy?
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 12:36 PM on Dec. 18, 2010