Fever question

My 4 month old daughter has a fever of 100.9 I gave her some Tylenol how high should I let her fever get before I contact her Dr. She has been tugging on her left ear as well. She has an appt on Monday for her 4 month check up so she will see a Dr on Monday.

MommytoBe987

Asked by MommytoBe987 at 5:12 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If the fever gets over 101.9 and Tylenol is not bringing it down contact the Dr so she can be seen. As long as baby is eating and sleeping normally and the Tylenol brings the temp down your doing just fine.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/48748/

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:19 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Its hard to say considering its pretty normal for babies to get high fevers. I would just see how she is acting. Put her in a tepid bath when you give her the tylenol. It really helps bring the fever down. Also make sure shes cool. Dont let her "sweat it out". Thats a myth and can actually make things worse. Make sure she is cool an comfortable and that her hands and feet are exposed. If you have motrin I would alternate that with the tylenol. It helps a lot. And def dont give her bm/formula or juice. Stick to pedialite. Also put a cold air humidifier in her room when she sleeps. GL:) She'll be fine. I think I wouldnt let it go past 102.5. If you are worried the call the dr's answering service and have a dr paged.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:22 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Well as long as the fever is controlled by the medication, you should be fine until Monday as long as she does not start screaming and crying all night from pain, because that is when ear infection pains get bad. You can alternate tylenol and motrin every 3 hours......do not give motrin less than 6 hours between doses or tylenol less than 4 hours between doses. Many doctors will not treat an ear infection with antibiotics, so as long as you keep the fever down and she is not completely screaming and crying for hours, it is ok to wait.
    boy_or_girl

Answer by boy_or_girl at 5:28 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Actually, you are not suposed to give med to an infant who has a low grade fever. The fever is there to fight something off. however if she is in pain it might help. since she is older than 3 mo You should see the dr for a fever of 104 or 105, or a lower fever that is not going away. Also, if you suspect an ear infection then I would go.
    AJmamma

Answer by AJmamma at 7:08 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• It sounds like an ear infection.
    Antibiotics are not the best way to fight off an ear infection, so I wouldn't go to the doctor for some..
    Her body will clear it away on its own. With the weather change, possible teething, or if you've been in a house with smokers any of these things could have triggered it..
    Honestly, I'd rely more on how well she seems to be feeling, than on what a thermometer reads.. When babies get warm (and likely you have the heat on in your house, have her in warm clothes, and have been giving her extra cuddles!) their temperatures are higher, so you may not be getting an accurate reading..
    When you feel like she's very sick, and it is beyond what you can treat her with at home (get a book with natural remedies and fever reducers! Soaking her feet in apple cider vinegar is one natural method to reduce fever) THEN take her to a doctor.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 8:31 PM on Nov. 8, 2008