?

my lil girl is 1 week and 3 days old.and i think she might be having problems going #2..is there anything i can give her?

s.bryant

Asked by s.bryant at 5:13 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (-8 Credits)
  • Karo syrup in her bottle

robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 5:14 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• no, it's normal for them to look like they're straining to poop. i wouldnl't do karo syrup unless your doctor tells you that there really is a problem
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:15 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• You can take one of those bulb things they gave you for the nose and put luke warm water in it and insert it about 1/4 - 1/2 of an inch into the anus and slowly and gently squeeze the water into the bottom. It will help her to have a bowel movement. Make sure to do this somewhere that can be cleaned up, as it may be a bit messy. Also if you are giving her formula, she may be having a problem with the kind of formula you are giving her. I would try this, and if it does not help, talk to her pediatrician about it.
    boy_or_girl

Answer by boy_or_girl at 5:17 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• my baby had the same thing. my mom came over and we took her rectal thermometer and put some lubircant on it and then put it in there to relieve pressure and then it just came pouring out. we had to do that for about 3 days(breastfed at the time). she still gets constipated at 3 months old so the doc. put her on laxitives and said to give her apple juice sometimes..(shes on formula now)
    burtney0921

Answer by burtney0921 at 5:52 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I agree with burtney0921! That is usually all it takes to stimulate the bowels and get things moving again. It's very easy to do and works fast! Just becareful not to insert it too far. Only about 1 inch!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 6:12 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I would just make sure that she is getting enough fluid. Also I remeber a time when my son stopped pooping as much. He went from pooping all teh time to pooping once every few days, then after a few weeks it started to normalize. but sorry I don't remember how old he was.
    AJmamma

Answer by AJmamma at 7:03 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Are you bfing? If so, remember to drink lots of water and everything will be fine. If you are formula feeding, I would water it down a little and if this doesn't seem to help, call the ped.
    Maddape48854

Answer by Maddape48854 at 7:16 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• it is normal for babies not to go everyday. I used to write it down in the beginning. If you little one is not 2 weeks old you should still be writing down potty and feedings. It all depends if you are nursing or formula..if you are nursing make sure you are hydrated and you can drink apple juice and prune juice.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 8:19 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I really wish people would stop insisting on passing on advice like karo syrup.. Everything your baby needs is in your breast milk.
    Eat more fruit, drink more water.
    Truly, it is perfectly normal for babies to go several days without pooping..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 8:20 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Please, do NOT spray water into your baby's bum!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Inserting ANYTHING 1 inch into your baby's rectum is TOO FAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I promise you, if you just do as nature intended- eat well, breastfeed, and NOT put anything into your baby other than breastmilk, your child will be JUST FINE!!! In fact, MORE than fine!!! You can do nothing better for your baby than leave her the heck alone in this matter!!

Nothing is blocked. Nothing is strained. If there IS a problem, I promise you that water and other supplements (no matter if you put them in her mouth or bum!) are NOT going to help.. Anything that would actually REQUIRE attention would be a medical problem.. Twisted bowels or somesuch, which can only be helped by surgical means.. And I HIGHLY doubt that is your baby's problem!!!!

Please, just LEAVE HER ALONE!!!
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 8:25 PM on Nov. 8, 2008