When your kds have a sleep over do you feel the need to entertain them or just let them hang out and do what they want??

Maybe it's the teacher in me but I can't stop trying to come up with fun activities for the kids to do, when I should probably just let them play whatever they feel like.....

skittles1108

Asked by skittles1108 at 8:56 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I used to try and keep them entertained, after a few times of having major attitude from my son who just wanted to play with his friend, I stopped. I realized that he and his friend knew what they wanted to do and I was getting in the way! Now if they come to me bored ... that's another story! Also, if they are being really loud, I direct them towards maybe watching a movie.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 8:58 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• My son has never had a sleep over but I think I would let them entertain themselves.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 9:01 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I just take my cues from the kids. If I feel like they're bored and looking for something to do, I'll suggest an activity for them, but they usually seem to like to just hang out. It's good to know the kid or kids that are coming. If the kids are more high-energy, I definitely like to have something for the kids to focus on for awhile so they're not just running around crazy and screaming.
    amyb99

Answer by amyb99 at 9:07 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• My kids have never had a sleepover in our house (we already have 5 kids...don't need to add more to the mix) but I would just let them do whatever. I'm considering letting my oldest have a slumber party for her birthday this summer (she's turning 11). We have a 2nd living room so I'd have them camp out there and watch movies or whatever. It's just keeping the other kids from bugging them. I'm sure my 8yo would be with them (they share a lot of friends) but I doubt the girls would want my 9yo son hanging around (even though he's friends with most of the girls anyway). And the 4yo girl would bug them, too.
    Anyway, when I had friends over as a kid we just hung out until we fell asleep. At my first real slumber party I thought it was weird that the mom stayed and entertained us with games and stories and stuff. It was a new neighborhood and school. They didn't do that where I moved from.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:47 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I leave them to themselves but I always keep my eyes on them!
    wowiemommy

Answer by wowiemommy at 5:37 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I loved sleepovers, I never entertained them, I just kept an eye on them.
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 10:50 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I have yet to host one as an adult, but I remember when I had them as a child we just did our own thing. My parents would rent a movie, have snacks and stuff out, and my friends and I just chilled. We didn't sleep much either, so plan on a looooooong night! lol
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 3:10 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I'll put a pizza in the oven for them and set up a dvd for them, and provide refreshments etc but i dont really entertain them no...i just leave them to it. I do that for all the kids when they have sleep overs (Mine are aged between 5 and 9) . I keep an eye on them but don't want to be the mum that tries to hang out with them, i like letting them feel that extra bit important and independant. And i relish the peace while they're busy!!
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 4:11 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I guess a balance between structured and un structured. Also I love to have either an interactive meal (like taco bar, build a salad, or baked potato bar) or else a baking project like cookies or cupcakes. Movies, of course, are a terrific killer of 90 minutes or so
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:26 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I let them entertain themselves. Kids need to learn to do that, and a sleep over is a great time to practice. Even the teacher in me lets them do that.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:15 PM on Dec. 18, 2010