Is the label "Non-Believer" really that confusing?

I was asked to clarify what a non-believer was. Of course we all believe in SOMEthing. Duh. But since I posted my Q in the religious section, I think it's pretty obvious that I wasn't referring to people who believe in Santa. KWIM?

I was trying to be as inclusive as I could be.

What name/label would you prefer? Anti-Christian? Non-Religious?

Seriously.

SavageGrl

Asked by SavageGrl at 9:01 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Non-believer in what? The Christian God? Allah? Buddha? Satan? Gaia?

People believe in so many different things, it is rude to assume people are non-believers if they don't believe in the Christian God.

Isn't it just easier to take the time to verify which God you are referring to? I mean it has to be easier than trying to defend yourself and writing new posts about it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:22 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• It's obvious reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, but you should at least pretend to read the questions already asked for the day .

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:04 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• No, it's just a really, really stupid term that's all. How 'bout using non-Christian... duh. People believe in many different things, it's stupid to use such a general term for something so very specific.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• It's not confusing, it's inaccurate. If you mean non-Christian, say that. It's pretty straight forward where the line is being drawn. Non-believer is usually used by people that have no concept that the world doesn't revolve around thier own beliefs.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 10:43 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• What name/label would you prefer? Anti-Christian? Non-Religious?

Seriously, I'd like for ppl to respect the fact that we are all diverse women discussing our personal beliefs. Even Satanist are believers. Personally I dont have a particular tittle. But I would like for Christians in this section to realize that NON-Christian does NOT mean NON-Believer. Like I've said before, I share some (very few) beliefs with many different religions including Christianity. I just happen to have a non-polular perception.

teacher

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 11:59 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• It's pretty religion centric for you to assert that "non-believer" clearly means someone who doesn't believe in your faith. There are billions of people on this earth who have very strong beliefs in different gods and philosophies. What would make you want to put-down those people by describing them as "non-believers", simply because they don't subscribe to your version of Christianity? I'm sure that you're confident that your way is the one and only right way, but so are other people of different faiths. . . so maybe to them, you're the "non-believer"?

How about this.  Just to clear up any confusion. . . why don't you offer your version of what constitutes a "non-believer" and we can discuss the merits of your definition.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 2:41 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• My pagan mother could easily call Christians non-believers because they don't believe in the mother goddess. This mother goddess seems to be such obvious truth to her.
    I personally am not a non-believer. I hold to my personal beliefs very strongly. They just happen to have nothing to do with a father-like deity.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 2:57 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• " Non believer" is very generic. Non believer in what...the christian god, buddha, allah, satanism, paganism?Get it? The list is endless.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:49 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• it can be confusing, you answered your own question in your first sentance...we all believe in something.
    and its not hard at all to find another word...if you mean non-Christian, write non-Christian. just b/c someone doesnt believe the same as you doesnt make them ANTI you...how silly!

and really...your attitude makes the rest of us Christians look bad. please tone it down a little, more flies w/ honey, kill em w/ kindness, and all that jazz.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:22 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• chrstian god?? Maybe it's non-believer in Zeus? Non-believer in Allah?? Non-believer in Bigfoot?? What exactly are we non-believing in??

Interesting that Christian God is not capitalized but Big Foot is.

Yeah well typing is not my strong suit. After awhile my carpal tunnel acts up, and the keys stick from the kids spilling stuff on my keyboard. Note I also left out the first "i" in christian. And only the "B" in bigfoot was capitalized. And is "god" his name?? Because you are right if that's his name it should be capitalized. However it's not really clear if he should be called God or Yahweh, or Jehovah. Perhaps you can tell me your preference. Or were you just looking for something to be offended about??
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 4:33 PM on Dec. 19, 2010