Pregnant women cant have tea?!?!

really?? what kind we talkin? im wondering cause I sometimes have sleepy time tea to help relax me before bed

mommyoftristan

Asked by mommyoftristan at 9:33 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• its the caffeine thats not good, just limit caffeinated. Sleepytime tea may not be the best, because of the sedatives in it. Ask your doc
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 9:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• there is a raspberry leaf tea you arent supposed to drink bc it causes contractions...but u have to get that at a specialty store....its not that raspberry zinger u can buy at walmart. Me and my sister tried drinking that crap to go into labor and it never worked!!! (5 different occasions....lol)
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 9:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• sleepytime tea is fine. it has no caffiene. black tea has caffiene (even decaf.), so you don't want to drink a huge amount of that. green tea inhibits the body's ability to get folic acid, so you want to stay away from that in early pregnancy. there are also some teas that you can drink that are supposed to induce labor....idk if they work, but of course don't drink those lol. chammomile, sleepytime, things like that are fine.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:36 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Where did you hear this??? There's caffeine in all tea but I mean I don't think it's detrimental

Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 9:36 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• its gonna sound silly... but i was reading responses to another post.. and one lady said your not suppose to drink tea.. so it made me wonder..
    mommyoftristan

Comment by mommyoftristan (original poster) at 9:39 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• sleepytime tea now has valerian herb in it, and I'm not sure if thats good for pregnancy
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 9:39 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• This is how I look at it...If you have any doubt just don't do it. I went to my OB Orientation and learned new things I wasn't suppose to eat. I didn't know that info with my first and he's fine. My mom knew less when she was pregnant with me and I turned out fine...I think lol :-)
    Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 9:41 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• i drank tea with both my pregnancies.. and if i'm pregnant now i drink tea.. my kids are just fine.
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 9:45 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Sleepytime tea is not good for pregnancy or breastfeeding because of the herbs that are in it. Raspeberry leaf tea does not cause you to start contracting, it conditions your uterus for the upcoming labor. I drink green tea daily, just in moderation of course, and my doctor has never said anything to me about it (I usually go to my appointments with a bottle of tea).
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:54 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• lies!!!! i drank a cup of pregnancy tea and 2 cups of raspberry leaf tea a day. the reason childbirth hurts is because the muscles in there are weak. these teas strengthen them and that coupled with ab exercises, strength training, and cardio during my whole pregnancy made my labor and delivery painless and effortless
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 9:59 PM on Dec. 17, 2010