• In the Spotlight:

BreastFeeding?

This is my first pregnancy im trying to decide if i want to breast feed or not. Im heading more toward no, but what are some pro's&con's of it & is it true its healthier for the baby and better for the moms breasts? sorry if this is kind of personal but im kind of uneducated with this part lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I like to breast feed I guess it's the bonding and its the best milk for your baby. The thing I dont like about it is if your baby doesn't latch on right your breast will hurt like they're on fire. another thing is both my kids always wanted to suck on my breastsall the time. and another thing I didnt like was I dont think I was producing enough milk so they were always hungry. Im pregnant again and I think Im going to bottlefeed mostly but I still want to breast feed too!!!
    tatalalicious

Answer by tatalalicious at 5:34 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• in the end, whatever you think is the right way, is the right way. i am definitely pro breastfeeding, but its not for everyone. its a nice way to bond with your baby, but some women don't think their baby is eating enough. in the end, its a very personal decision. do not let someone make you feel bad about the decision you end up making. good luck and congrats.

sammygrrlplus1

Answer by sammygrrlplus1 at 5:34 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Yeah its the BEST! You would really only have to so it for 3 to 6 months because they start eating the solid oatmeal at 4 months. It not only healthier it is more covenant because you wouldn't have wake your self us in the middle of the night too get the bottle ready, and it also cheaper. It gives the baby nutritionists and immunities they need those first 6 months. It also gives you and feeling of close bond to the baby. All the women did it in my family and I did it with my first and going to breast feed my second. I wish you the best of luck! Hope this help some, its well worth it.
    LeeFlower

Answer by LeeFlower at 5:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Breastfeeding is absolutely the best for both you and your baby! It even decreases your risk to cervical and ovarian cancers. Even the World Health Organization, and the American Association of Pediatrics agree it is the most nutritionally sound food for your child. It is especially formulated for the needs of your baby, with the right amounts of sugars, fats, vitamins and minerals, and antibodies to keep your baby from getting sick. If you don't feel comfortable with your baby feeding at your breast, you should consider using a breast pump to supply your babies milk, and bottle feeding breast milk instead of formula. Here are some helpful web sites:

http://www.who.int/topics/breastfeeding/en/ -- world health organization

http://www.aap.org/breastfeeding/ -- america association of pediatrics
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 5:45 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I would find a La Leche League meeting to go to. Yes they are pro breastfeeding, but if you find a good group, they will inform you of all the pros and cons for you to make your own decision.
    Their website is www.LLLI.org and you should be able to find the closest meetings to you.

Godd luck and congratulations.
    Maddape48854

Answer by Maddape48854 at 6:59 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I decide I wanted to breast when I had her. I did not know anyone esle who was breast feeding and I felt a little weird about it. When I had my first baby I just tried it to see and I knew I could do it because it is what is best for the baby. I have nursed each baby since, currently EBF twins. I know how it feels to undecisive on a contrversial topic. Know what is best and not knowing if it is possible but give it a try.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 7:21 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• It is really the best for the baby and is a great bonding experience for you and baby. Plus it is easier than making a bottle in the middle of the night and cheaper than formula. If you read up on formula, they want you to think it is healthy and safe for your baby, but really? It is fake.... Breasts were designed for feeding our young.
    And for the lady that said you only have to for 3 to 6 months, the American Pediatrics say to nurse for 1 year for full health benefits. You are providing your baby with a "super" immune system, since they will get yours too. :)
    Feel free to bounce questions off me if you like. :)
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 8:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• There's a book called something like, "So that's what these are for" and it's about breastfeeding. read up a little. Breastfeeding is sooooooo good. It's hard for me to understand women who dismiss the idea before they even try. I hope you are able to read up a little on the benefits for baby and mother.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 9:17 PM on Nov. 8, 2008