Do you think taxpayers money should be spent on ESL classes in public schools?

I don't personnally. I feel that it would take away from my children's education time. We don't do it for any other race. Why should we do it for only one race. You can call me racist. My first child went to a private school for that very reason. We lived about 4 blocks from a very predominatly hispanic(mexican, whatever you want to call it, I won't get offended) school. I felt that they would spend more time teaching english than the subjects they needed to teach. I think they should learn English before they get into Kindergarten.

Alma_C

Asked by Alma_C at 5:23 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I think that if the parents of the children can prove the citizenship of the children then, yes. It is not fair to the children who are legal citizens of this country to be held back because If a teacher has 20 kids and one third of them cannot speak English then the other two thirds of the class are slowed down. So really they are being punished because the teacher cannot go at a pace which all the children can learn. I homeschool my kids now but when I came to the U.S. I only spoke french and this was over 40 years ago. It was very hard for me to learn and not only could I not speak English I was only 4 when I went into kindergarden.
    I don't care if anyone says it is politically incorrect to ask for proof of someone's citizenship. It is the obligation of the school system to represent the individuals children who pay for the school.
    smartiemouth

Answer by smartiemouth at 8:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I support educating all children in this country equally.
    KC33

Answer by KC33 at 5:29 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Other countries require a "proficiency" before you're allowed into other classes. You are responsible for proving such proficiency. Why we don't have the same is beyond me.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 5:43 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Some kids come here when they're already beyond Kindergarten. The NEED ESL classes.
    Anonymous

• ESL doesn't take away from any child's learning time. ESL is taught seperate from english speaking students so that those children who do not need it get what they do, and the children that do need it get it.
    Have you been around a family that is bilingual? It is difficult to teach a toddler/young child a second language. They do not realize which language is the different language, and wind up mixing the two. It is better to wait until they're around 4 and can understand the differences.
    I do believe we should pay for it. Why not? We believe that if others come to this country, they must speak the language, and if parents cannot afford it, why not provide a child with that opportunity? Then not only will the child learn, but the parent may learn from them.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 5:49 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• CHILDREN LEARN THE LANGUAGE SO QUICKLY, MY CHILDREN WENT TO KINDERGARTEN NOT SPEAKING A WORD OF ENGLISH, I TAUGHT THEM SPANISH FIRST, AND WHEN THEY STARTED SCHOOL, IT TOOK THEM TWO WEEKS AND THAT WAS IT. YES THEY WERE BORN I THE USA, BUT I WANTED THEM TO SPEAK TWO LANGUAGES AND THEY LEARNED THE SPANISH FIRST AND THEY HAVE NEVER FORGOTTEN. I SUPPORT EDUCATION FOR ALL CHILDREN.

Answer by older at 6:19 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I support ESL. I wish more languages were offered to our English speaking children.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 7:03 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• mrseum ESL doesn't take away from any child's learning time. ESL is taught seperate from english speaking students so that those children who do not need it get what they do, and the children that do need it get it.

You are absolutely right. when I first moved to the USA I was 10 and in 6th grade. I went to catholic school and every day they would take those of us who didn't speak English and separately teach us English for one hour. I learned quickly and by seveth grade didn't need that anymore.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 7:08 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• The ESL program is taught in a seperate classroom. So unless your child is in the ESL program, they would never have to take time out of their instruction time to cover this.

As far as my tax dollars...yes, of course my taxes should go towards supporting ESL and ALL educational programs for children. The parents of the ESL students are paying taxes too.
    mum2gr8byz

Answer by mum2gr8byz at 7:17 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• What I object to is they keep trying to put my nephew, my younger sister's son, in ESL classes at the beginning of every school year. His father (that he's never even seen!) was Hispanic, and he looks very Hispanic, but he has been raised totally American and doesn't know a single word of Spanish. They don't even ask him, just tell him to go to the other room, and then he finds himself in the ESL class. My sister has had to fix this from Kindergarden, 1st grade, 2nd grade, and now 3rd grade. She is getting tired of it!
    Anonymous