Not gaining any weight is it a problem

I am 5f 8in and 185 lbs which makes me about 35 lbs overweight, I have not gained an ounce since the beginning of my pregnancy. Before I was prego my doctor kept telling me im overweight and borderline obese (which i dont think i am) , now she keeps telling me I need to gain more weight. Now if I dont gain any weight, i feel like it wont be that bad. I have been lightly excercising and eating healthy now that im pregnant.

so the question is

Since I am overweight is it ok not to gain any?
Has this happened to you?

leksismommy

Asked by leksismommy at 10:20 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• As long as you're not making a concentrated effort to lose wait, and baby is fine, then it probably doesn't matter. It has a lot to do with you making healthier choices. Keep up your intake, eat when you're hungry (healthy foods, of course), don't try to starve yourself or anything, and it'll be ok. You'll probably gain at least a little bit in the last trimester; that's when most of the weight gain happens anyway. Just be sure to keep up with the healthy choices after birth. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:44 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• btw im 27 weeks pregnant
    leksismommy

Comment by leksismommy (original poster) at 10:21 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• you should have gained weight
    ready4baby2011

Answer by ready4baby2011 at 10:23 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I am not sure if it is not good to not gain any weight. I know with my first child I didn't really gain much weight the first 6 months or so. I did gain some weight although not a lot. Then in the last 3 months I gained a lot of weight. With my other 2 children I started to gain right away although I gained much less with each of them,

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:23 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• it is fine for you not to gain any weight if you're eating healthier now and exercising a little bit you might even lose in the beginning and that's fine too. they have new guidelines for women who are overweight when they start the pregnancy, maybe your ob should look them up (especially if she accused you of being boarderline obese!). just be up front and tell your ob to stop stressing over weight gain. as long as you are eating healthy there is nothing to worry about and she should not be trying to stress you out over something you cannot control. but you have to tell her or else she will keep beating that dead horse....
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:24 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I was over 200 lbs. when I got pregnant and I gained about 15 lbs. during my pregnancy. It is not good to not gain weight during pregnancy because you're not eating right if you aren't gaining weight. The baby adds weight, along with amniotic fluid, breast tissue etc.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 10:34 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• As long as the baby is growing normally, there is no problem.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 10:34 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• yes the baby is growing properly
    leksismommy

Comment by leksismommy (original poster) at 10:36 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• No, im not purposely trying to lose weight, Im just eating healthier (3-4 meals a day) and excercising a little, plus i had the worst morning sickness for the first 4 months
    leksismommy

Comment by leksismommy (original poster) at 10:47 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• As long as the baby is healthy and growing properly, I wouldnt worry about it.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 10:50 PM on Dec. 17, 2010