Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Iam a adult with ld and i would like to know if there is a college or trianing that will catter to me

Adult with ld looking for college or free trainging

Answer Question

Asked by tinamarie1972 at 10:32 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in

Level 17 (4,197 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • I don't think that you'll be able to attain college credits for free without some sort of grants. There's always financial aid and student loans, though.Talk to some colleges. A lot of them are very willing to work with your schedule and a lot of adults attend college. Colleges have people just waiting to answer your questions and help you come up with a plan that is right for you. There are usually a lot of options.

    Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

  • What is your learning disability? This will determine how hard you will have to work to get the grades you want.. Check with the school you want to attend and see what their guidance is on students with LD. You may be able to get privileges on taking tests in a separate room, extra time etc.. Mostly any tutors etc you may have to pay for those yourself unless it is volunteers.. Also going part time will give you more time to focus on one or two classes instead of 4 or more..

    Answer by midnightmoma at 10:43 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

  • The college I went to had services for students with LD. I think this is pretty normal. I'd just call and check out the university you think you may be interested in attending, set up a time to go check it out and see what they have to offer. As far as for free, I doubt you'll find that. You can fill out the FAFSA though, and they'll give you financial aid in the form of grants and student loans.

    Answer by EverydayMomma at 11:25 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

  • The college I attend has Student Services. This helps students with LD and what accomodations they will need.

    Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:08 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

  • NO college will cater to any student but they will HELP all students. Check with the college you want to attend to see if the have a student support center. A center that helps students with their coursework. It is still up to YOU to do the work, but schools will make accomdations if you have proof of a diagnosed disability. Also, you won't get free college or training just because you have a disability.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:46 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.