So "me" time should be given up when we are parents/

Single mothers or married...do you agree that "me" time is something we sacrifice for our children or do you think it is important for a parent to have some time to themselves either it be shopping alone, going out on a date or just getting your hair done? Is it selfish of people to want to get out every now and then?

JuJubean1979

Asked by JuJubean1979 at 10:51 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think "me" time is severely cut down and "almost" nonexistant. That being said, it should still be there and YES, people do need it...parents or not!
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 10:53 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• exactly! I think it is so important for the person to get out and live a little. It doesn't mean they are bad people but everyone needs a break
    JuJubean1979

Comment by JuJubean1979 (original poster) at 10:57 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I, personally, sacrifice "me" time for the first several months of my babies lives so that I can get bonding and breastfeeding off to a good start. After that, I need a shower alone or a walk by myself or to make a trip to the store without little hands in my hair, in my pockets... without a kid crying and screaming at me. Without having to think every second "does my child need something right now?" I think in order to be an effective parent one MUST take care of oneself and meet your own needs sometimes! Otherwise you lose it and go Andrea Yates on your family.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:01 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• so true Ati! That is my exact point. I get frustrated when people say that even single moms need to sacrafice me time all together. Who says and why? They are the ones who need it the most in order to get a clear head. I know i did and I also took care of my kids too!
    JuJubean1979

Comment by JuJubean1979 (original poster) at 11:03 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I didn't stop being a person when I became a mother so I don't agree with the idea that mothers aren't allowed "me" time. That's insane. It's basically saying a mother is a 2nd class citizen and doesn't deserve to be her own person. I also don't believe that kids always come first.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:30 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I think we need the me time sometimes. Cause when we get home we are refreashed. I agree with you justanotherjen that kids should not always come first. Cause if we as parents don't take care of ourself then how will we be there to care for them.
    LADYA1983

Answer by LADYA1983 at 12:02 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• IMO, Me time is very IMPORTANT............................ even if it doesn't happen very often
    Chantalg12

Answer by Chantalg12 at 12:12 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I sacrificed just about all of the "me" time for about the first year for each child. I didn't regret it, but there were definite times of showing "wear" on my outlook. When I finally got a bit more me time, it definitely helped me to appreciate that time for myself--as well as making me miss my kids a lot.

I have definitely felt selfish when I have taken me time, but I kept reminding myself that I deserved a little time to myself. It is a must to have some alone time with yourself so that you don't lose yourself (if that makes sense). I think it helps you appreciate your family more.
    Chocolatespring

Answer by Chocolatespring at 12:58 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I am still a person. My dh and I have datenights once/month for us. Our son goes to grandma/grandpas for the night. I also get me time when he is in preschool.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 2:03 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• no, just because we become moms that doesnt mean we stop being ourselves, even when mine are little i make sure i have some "me" time, even if that is just to take a shower and shave my legs. i would either wait till baby was sleeping or have a friend just hold the baby for 10min. that short amount of time went a long way. now my youngest is 12m, and i put her and my 2yr old into hourly care while the older 2 are at school and i go to my appointments or get a haircut, or just sit at home and watch a movie. last week me and my hubby (who just came home from a year long deployment) had a lunch date at taco bell. after i pick my girls up or the sitter leaves i am always more relaxed and ready to have some family fun with them.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 7:01 AM on Dec. 18, 2010