Is it allright to lose weight while your pregnant?

If you are very over weight and accidentally get pregnant before you've had a chance to get any of the weight off from the last pregnancy, is it allright to eat like 1500 cals a day and work out for an hour even if your not used to either of these things?

ari914

Asked by ari914 at 11:16 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• you shouldn't go on a calorie restrictive diet when you're pregnant. if you do light exercise (like brisk walk for an hour), and eat healthy, you might find that you do lose weight. they have new weight guidelines for overweight, obese and morbidly obese women now. maybe on your next ob visit you can talk to them about where you fall and how you want to have a healthier lifestyle. but you will not gain as much and may even lose while you're pregnant if you start the light exercise and healthy meals. your ob will also give you some guidance about portions,etc. too. gl!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:20 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• you don't want to reduce calories while pregnant. Try eating more healthy and do some moderate exercise.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 11:21 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• thanks for your comments, in answer to what you said a few minutes ago princessbeth79 I know where I fall, it's embarrassing to admit but I'm in the morbidly obese catagory and i worry about have a heart attack or something like that when it comes time to have my baby, if you'd like the ugly truth my BMI is 53. I know "YUCK" but i'm scared and i want to get rid of as much as i can healthily before my baby gets here.
    ari914

Comment by ari914 (original poster) at 11:24 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• talk to your doctor about things you can do so the baby gets what it needs and you can get more fit and healthy. good luck, i know its not easy--dont be embaressed, every BODY is beautiful and i give you credit for wanting to get more healthy, it will definatly add more years onto your life to enjoy being a mother!
    dez1379

Answer by dez1379 at 11:28 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• well, you can just talk about it to your ob and they might even give you the name of a nutritionist to help you in your goal. it will be really great to start living a healthy lifestyle while you're pregnant because it might even cut down on your chances of developing gestational diabetes and other issues like that. plus if you start changing your lifestyle now it will be easier to keep it going once baby arrives because you'll be used to buying and choosing healthy things. i really wish you the best of luck! i know it's really hard.....i struggle with my weight too!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:29 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• thank you
    ari914

Comment by ari914 (original poster) at 11:30 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Talk to your doctor, he/she will have the best advice and the safest way to do it. Good luck, we all have our struggles.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 11:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• No way. I fall onto the morbidly obese border, and never attempted to lose weight before getting pregnant. I didn't gain too much, but mostly due to not having an appetite (some may call it "morning sickness", I just didn't care to eat). With 2 of my babies I lost weight without trying, with one I lost 40 lbs total and my midwife wasn't worried - they both came out very healthy and the baby I lost 40 with was 9 lbs 2 oz. I did NOT try to lose, I did not diet or excercise, I jsut couldn't eat. If you are not used to working out or dieting, during pregnancy is NOT the time to start either of those things - just take super-good care of yourself during, and work hard to lose after baby's born and you get the all-clear to start a mild exercise routing. Talking to a dietician would be a really good thing too!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• if you are eating 6 small meals that include carbs and protein you are fine.... even if you do lose lbs....
    FITmama2B

Answer by FITmama2B at 12:18 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• consume no less than 1700 =)
    FITmama2B

Answer by FITmama2B at 12:25 AM on Dec. 18, 2010