How do you feel about the "leashes" for children?

I don't know what else to call them, lol! You know, the things that look like a leash and attach the child to the parents.

Have you ever used one?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 11:20 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• To each their own. I'd personally never use them.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:21 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I have a son that is BAD ADHD and we use it. It keeps him from running off without me either holding him or holding his hand. He HATES being in a buggy.
    ready4baby2011

Answer by ready4baby2011 at 11:22 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I would never use one either
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 11:23 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• they are good ifyou're in a crowd situation and there is not a way to have a stroller, or a stroller would be very cumbersome.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:23 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I think they are sold as "harnesses" lol.

I used to HATE them! I thought they were the worst thing ever invented and demeaned children... and then I had a toddler who likes to run away and a baby who I'm always holding. I have not used one, but I definately see their value now! I know it looks similar to a dog's leash, but the attitude in which it's used is totally different. We collar and leash our dogs to CONTROL them, we harness our children to keep them safe without killing ourselves or our other children in the process.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:23 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I tried them with my twins when they were toddlers. One took off and did the dog thing -- bounced at the end and landed on his face. I threw them in the trash immediately after tending his poor little head. He still has a scar on his forehead.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 11:24 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I never liked them until I had my DD, who just ran away if you let her out of the stroller or a buggie, I used it and loved it, thats how I taught my daughter to stay by my side at all time
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 11:24 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

I used to HATE them! I thought they were the worst thing ever invented and demeaned children... and then I had a toddler who likes to run away and a baby who I'm always holding. I have not used one, but I definately see their value now! I know it looks similar to a dog's leash, but the attitude in which it's used is totally different. We collar and leash our dogs to CONTROL them, we harness our children to keep them safe without killing ourselves or our other children in the process. "

Thank you, lol! Why couldn't ?I think of that word?

Great points. I'll don't think I'll ever use one, but they probably would be pretty helpful and convenient.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 11:26 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I just got one for my two year old that likes to get down and explore and look at things too when we're shopping. Hers is actually cute. It's like a monkey and the body is on thee back like a backpack and the front part of the harness has the monkeys hands and feet. The "leash" clips on and off and is hte monkey's tail. I don't use it much, but she likes it- she calls it "Buddy".
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 11:26 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Thank you, lol! Why couldn't ?I think of that word?
    "

And why did I put two question marks in that sentence? :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 11:27 PM on Dec. 17, 2010