My girls are so mean to each other.

I have a 5.5 year old and a 3 year old, both girls. My oldest is really bossy and controlling, typical oldest child. She is fine with her friends, but she is the group leader. But with her little sister she is mean. And now my 3 year old is being mean right back. I grew up having sister that were mean and I was mean to them, I hated it, it was lonely.

With their friends they share and take turns, but each other everything is a competition, who is louder, who pushes harder, who gets on the favorite chair first, who sits on Daddy's lap first, who cuddles with me first.
My husband and I make room for both of them and make time to spend with each alone everyday. So I am asking what am I missing? I just really want them to be friends and watch out for each other.

DevilInPigtails

Asked by DevilInPigtails at 11:25 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• Girls will always have each others back when it is needed, but like mom2priceboys said they are the best of friends and the worst of enemies. The true friendship won't start until they are a lot older.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Siblings are best of friends worst of enemies
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 11:36 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• delete girls and put in boys. now you have my life lol. it really is hard, but i just try to keep on top of them with the dicipline. my boys are friends, but everything is a competition. i guess that part they will grow out of (i hope!), but how they handle it is what i focus on. if they want to get nasty then they get punished. i wish they would just get over it already lol....it's draining me!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:32 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• whether you think it or not, they have each other's back. My mom and her siblings used to fight all of the time, oh the war stories. (convincing the youngest to stick a fork in the electrical socket, turning off the hot water to whoever was in the shower, beating each other up) but what is most amazing, no matter how much they battled it out, they were the only ones allowed to battle. If non bro/sis people wanted to be mean to one, or join in, they would turn on that person in a second. Like "I can be mean, that's my sis/bro, but who the F!## are you"....lol it's weird but the love is there.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:46 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I am going through the same thing with my boys they are 10 amd 8. The oldest wants to do everything by himself. He want to play on the computer and WII alone. I don't understand it either. When they were your girls age they did everything together. Now the oldest wants to be by himself and do things. They are happy to see each other sfter school but a few hours later the oldest is done. I think it is a not wanting to play with a younger kid. Even if they are your sibling. I just told them to day that they need to learn to play together sometime. Not every min put at some point in the day do something together. And the youngest one can be a lot meaner then the oldest at times. I just thought it wouldn't be this way until they were teenagers. I hope it get better by then.
    LADYA1983

Answer by LADYA1983 at 11:46 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• i'm not shocked. girls are mean! dont you remember high school? girls are MEAN to each other.
    devtdbosombuddy

Answer by devtdbosombuddy at 11:33 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I am so tired of it, it is draining. I have told my oldest how to handle her sister and have given time outs and send them both to there rooms for being mean. I have tried ignoring it, to see if they could work it out. It is embarrassing when they do it in public. Thank you for letting me know I am not alone.
    DevilInPigtails

Comment by DevilInPigtails (original poster) at 11:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• When does the best of friends start???? I am tired of not getting anything done because I have to police them.
    DevilInPigtails

Comment by DevilInPigtails (original poster) at 11:37 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• So what is the best way to deal with it. I am to the point were I just want to scream.
    DevilInPigtails

Comment by DevilInPigtails (original poster) at 11:51 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

***
    Likely after one moves out or goes away to college!! LOL Seriously! That's siblings for ya!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:51 AM on Dec. 18, 2010