whats the better kind of formula?

I am weaning my son from breast milk to formula (for medical reasons) and I am looking for a formula that DS will actually drink. Right now we are trying Enfamil in the yellow can, he doesn't like it. if you have had breastfed baby that you weaned to formula what kind did you use? did you tase them?

punkomama08

Asked by punkomama08 at 11:30 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think they are all GENERALLY the same. Some, however, are extremely overpriced. Personally, I don't think it matters what kind/brand of formula you use if your baby is healthy and doesn't have any special dietary needs.
    Averylee85

Answer by Averylee85 at 11:33 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• the only one that worked well with my daughter was nestle goodstart..i tried all the other ones, enfamil, enfalac, similac etc..but nestle was the only one she wouldnt puke back up again
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I gave mine enfamile until he was 8 months then he was put on a sippy cup and regular food.
    ready4baby2011

Answer by ready4baby2011 at 11:49 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• breast milk is the best .......followed by , but not nearly as good as Moms --enfamil brand and nestle good start are the 2 top contenders- the bottom line is your taking him from top notch dining to wendys its not going to go well
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:51 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• There is no "one best" - it's what's best for each individual baby. I had 4 that I bf and switched to formula, the first one took easily to the first kind of formula, the second took 2 tries to find one, the 3rd took 4 tries, and the 4th took 6 tries to find the one that was best for him.

But look at it this way - NO formula tastes good, but breastmilk is sweet. If you were used to drinking something sweet and perfectly warm all the time, would you want a bottle of nasty tasting formula? It's just going to take him some getting used to. A really good way to get him used to it, is to mix - if he normally takes 6 oz per feeding, start out with 5 oz bm and 1 oz formula, and after a couple of days 4 oz bm and 2 oz formula, etc, til he's on all formula.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• The only one DS will take is Enfamil A+. I still BF and he gets one bottle of formula a day. Not much help but I did try a couple before he would take this one. Talk to your Doc if you can. They usually can make some suggestions
    Chantalg12

Answer by Chantalg12 at 12:31 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• We used Enfamil Lipil, and my son was fine with that. I tried one can of Similac, but hated how grainy it was. We didn't even finish the can. It didn't mix as well as the Enfamil IMO, and the Enfamil seemed more similar to the expressed milk I was still giving him at first too. I think Enfamil was higher in DHA (at least it was then, not sure what amounts they each have now). My SIL gives her twins Similac Gentlease now, and she really likes it. It just depends on the baby and parent's preferences, I guess. The only thing I would recommend is not switching brands a lot at first unless there's definite problem. I think it takes a little time for their tummies to adjust each time you try a new formula.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 1:02 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• i breastfeed but every now and again i give my daughter enfamil gentle formula
    newmommyjazz

Answer by newmommyjazz at 1:07 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Stick to store brands, they are the same and half the price and most stores carry a variety of "styles". My kids are all 100% formula fed but my youngest (now 5 months) only takes the "gentle" kind which is like Enfamil Gentlease (which I guess is like Good Start with the broken down proteins). Anything else upsets his stomach. I buy the Target brand and get a huge can for $20 (36oz can). In a pinch he uses a "sensitive" formula which is lactose free but it still upsets him, just not as much as the plain stuff (that makes him miserable).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:36 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I preferred Similac (or the store brand close to Similac).
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:59 AM on Dec. 19, 2010