Necessary?

do you ladies think it is necessary to get a bassinet? i mean i love the idea and would like to get one, but i am doing this on my own without help from the father, have limited money, and my friends dont really have the money to throw me a shower-so im wondering if i should spend money on it or if it really dosn't matter. about how many months did your little ones sleep in them?

dez1379

Asked by dez1379 at 11:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Only until they can push themselves up so not even 4 months. Just skip it.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 11:44 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• how many months did they sleep in it?? with mine it was how many minitues lol. they all hated the bassinet. it made them hot and sweaty. i co-slept with them until they could roll both ways, then i put them in their crib.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:44 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• It's really up to you. I had one for my kids and loved it. Of course the down side is they are only in one about 6 months or less. If you have limited funds it might be better to just go ahead and get the crib that way you are not buying one later on after already spending money on the bassinet.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:44 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• noooo..huuuge waste of money IMO..i tried it for 3 nights, and my daughter wouldnt sleep in it..and it was a nice one too..it rocked back and forth as well as played music..i wouldnt waste your money
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:45 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• not worth the money-- neither is the diaper changing table

I co slept until done with night time breastfeeding (about 5th month) then the crib was in my room and they are 4 and 6 and yes they sleep just fine by themselves
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:46 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• thanks! may i ask, what is co-sleeping? is that when they are in the bed with you? can you tell this is my first baby! lol thanks for the advice im only worried that if the baby is in the bed with me the cat will try to snuggle with her, he's in my bed all night
    dez1379

Comment by dez1379 (original poster) at 11:47 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• if your going to put your money towards something and you don't have a lot of help, like you said, then put it towards an actual bed that converts into a toddler bed. You can get them as cheap as $100 (from what i've seen that haven't been recalled lol).
    Make sure to shop around too, and go to yardsales/look on craigslist as well! good luck!
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 11:48 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• depends, i mean if youre limited on funds, you can always buy a second hand one, or try freecycle in your area. My 3 kids used one till they were almost 2 months old. My DD's were 11 months 2 wks apart so it was used again fairly quickly. I more used the playpen it was bigger, and used for a much longer period of time.
    MSully3

Answer by MSully3 at 11:50 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• yes, co-sleeping means they sleep in the bed with you. i don't have any advice about the cat other than start closing your bedroom door now so they get used to sleeping elsewhere lol. my cats like to sleep in their little cat beds i got from petsmart.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:50 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I had a bassinet with my youngest and he wouldn't sleep in it at all. Thankfully it was a hand-me-down, so nobody was out any money over it.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 11:53 PM on Dec. 17, 2010