How much prepping do you have to do for moving companies

I know everything needs to be in packing boxes but what about the big items? Do I need to take down the beds or will they? Do I have to have to empty all the drawers in the dressers and side tables? Sorry for putting my question here, not sure where else to stick it.

sandbuster

Asked by sandbuster at 11:43 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Home & Garden

• well, it might depend on the moving company. i was expected to have the bed and crib taken apart. all the drawers were supposed to be emptied out and packed accordingly. all the boxes were to be labeled with what room they belong in. they moved a couple of plants too, but i had to sign a thing saying i am aware they could die lol. that's about all i can remember. when they give you the estimate they should let you know what you need to do.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:47 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• The more you break things down, the less they will charge you! If you have to have them break down a bed, dressers, etc., it will add more time to the moving schedule which means you will be charged more for the total cost of the move. I would break everything down as if YOU were the one loading the truck. If everything is in manageable pieces, then you're good to go. Obviously if something cannot be taken apart--like a wall unit, then I would wrap the corners with bubble wrap and tape or tape small blankets around it to protect the visible sides from damage.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:37 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• It depends on the moving company. Usually they give you written information on what you have to do and what they do. Call their office and ask, or if they have a website, the information might be there. I would try to do as much as physically possible, if you're paying for it. If your job is paying, that could be different.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 6:58 AM on Dec. 19, 2010